Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rack, pump, and most parts to complete the installation I had to fab. the engine mount bracket out of aluminum as I never could find an original bracket. what I need to know is the lower u-joint a different size from manual to power rack? the power rack is .725X36 splines. I do not want to take out the manual till I have all the parts needed. Thanks

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Also I believe there is a year difference.

The column shaft where the U joint attaches changed around 1984.

Todd, 4 L bodys posted the differences a while back IIRC.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
535 Posts
Also I believe there is a year difference.

The column shaft where the U joint attaches changed around 1984.

Todd, 4 L bodys posted the differences a while back IIRC.

Thanks
Randy
I can't say for sure on that.
I have a manual rack and the coupler from a 78 TC3 in my 86 Shelby Charger. Just knocked out the roll pin on the coupling that attached to the bottom of the steering column and put the manual parts in, the only difference I had was the cover for where the rack comes out of the cabin wouldn't work.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the rack, pump, and most parts to complete the installation I had to fab. the engine mount bracket out of aluminum as I never could find an original bracket. what I need to know is the lower u-joint a different size from manual to power rack? the power rack is .725X36 splines. I do not want to take out the manual till I have all the parts needed. Thanks
Out of the '82 parts manual:

5206055 1 COUPLING, w/Lower Strg. Shaft (w/Man. Strg.)
5206189 1 (w/Power Strg.)

So yes, they're different...

(Mount bracket p/n: 5214608)

Maybe try car-part.com for a Pwr strg rack and see if they have the coupling u-joint???

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of the '82 parts manual:

5206055 1 COUPLING, w/Lower Strg. Shaft (w/Man. Strg.)
5206189 1 (w/Power Strg.)

So yes, they're different...

(Mount bracket p/n: 5214608)

Maybe try car-part.com for a Pwr strg rack and see if they have the coupling u-joint???

Good luck!
Thanks john83 for the p/n info. I did find one on car-part.com in New Mexico, but did not want to ship it, said it leaked to bad

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks john83 for the p/n info. I did find one on car-part.com in New Mexico, but did not want to ship it, said it leaked to bad
Leaked too bad? What, the steering rack? Shoot, the oil will drain out and then they can put it in a plastic bag. I'm guessing that you're only getting the rack for the coupler? Will they sell you the assembly then ship just the coupler?
Might be expensive but you need that coupler!
Was it A-1 Recyclers in Kirtland, NM by any chance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leaked too bad? What, the steering rack? Shoot, the oil will drain out and then they can put it in a plastic bag. I'm guessing that you're only getting the rack for the coupler? Will they sell you the assembly then ship just the coupler?
Might be expensive but you need that coupler!
Was it A-1 Recyclers in Kirtland, NM by any chance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it was, when I first called them they said they would ship everything, but called back later and said it was leaking to bad to sell, I think that they just did not want to take the time to remove, pack and ship. I have everything except the coupler. I made the pump mount out of aluminum plate as I couldn't find an original factory mount , worked out well. I'm not going to remove the manual till I get the coupler. Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes it was, when I first called them they said they would ship everything, but called back later and said it was leaking to bad to sell, I think that they just did not want to take the time to remove, pack and ship. I have everything except the coupler. I made the pump mount out of aluminum plate as I couldn't find an original factory mount , worked out well. I'm not going to remove the manual till I get the coupler. Thanks
I'm guessing that it was Jason that you talked to? Call him back and tell him that John with the Rampage out in Texas "recommended them" to you and see if maybe they can get just the coupler off for you. tell them that they'll need a 1/4" punch to drive the pin out. Heck, they'd have to do that anyway to remove the rack. Yeah, when I talked to him the parts that I got were still in the vehicle. Try to wheel & deal with him and see what he says... Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts