Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The map sensor on my 89 Omni is messed up. I was told to check the vacumn lines on it before I bought a new one. The problem is that I can't find my map sensor. The Haynes manual said that it should be behind the passenger kick pannel. When I looked there, no map sensor. Can anybody tell me where it is or if I just missed it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It's under the hood, bolted to the passenger side strut tower. You'll see a bracket with the MAP sensor and a solenoid attached to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what my dad thought but when I looked in the Haynes manual it said under the kick pannel on passenger side.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That's for models older than '87. It's nice how they combine all model years into one book, but fail to mention that loads of changes were made over the years.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Take the passenger side kick panel off, pull the clear plastic away from the logic module and look at it.
There will be a black plastic plate on the module.
Remove the plate.
If you don't see the MAP sensor connected with a red/white/black cable inside, then it's in the engine compartment on the passenger side.

NOTES:
The 87 GLHS had the MAP sensor installed in either the logic module or the engine compartment depending on the cars build date.
My #0325 car was built in September of '86 and it was located in the logic module under the black plate.
My #0956 car was built in January of '87 and it was located in the engine compartment.
They switched the mounting location of the MAP sensor to the engine compartment to get quickly get rid of condensation using heat from the engine.

I'll guess that all turbo cars manufactured from late 1986 had the MAP sensor in the engine compartment.

·
Administrator
24,769 Posts
1)Did you locate your MAP Sensor yet?
a)The vacuum line is direct from the Throttle Body to the MAP Sensor which is underhood.
It was stated earlier you would have a "solenoid" attached to it, if your car is an 89 you Will Not have a Solenoid attached, the Solenoid is only used on Turbo Cars which an 89 Omni is not.
87-89 TBI Vacuum.jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg
2)What exactly is the issue you are having?

·
Administrator
24,769 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts