Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Walbro 255 from fwdp with less than 8k miles on it and I am wondering if I got a bad pump? If I clamp the return line it will only give me a max fuel pressure of 58psi? I thought that it should pretty much peg my 100psi gauge, but that does not seem to be the case. Do I have a bad pump? I have +40's if that matters at all.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yeah, you should be getting loads of pressure when you clamp the return line shut.

How's the filter? Old?

It's also possible the short piece of hose inside the tank is leaking under pressure, causing most of the gas to squirt out inside the tank, and leaving you with very little pressure.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the filter is less than a month old so that couldn't/shouldn't be the problem. I guess i can hope that the in-tank hose is the problem, I will check on that. Has anyone heard of these pumps going bad in such a short period of time?
thanks,
Geoff

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbovanman said:
Or you run your gas tank low! Fuel is the pumps coolant and if you run them low no gas, cooks the pumps in minutes!
Running the tank low cannot possibly cook the pump in "minutes" otherwise I would consider it a defective product. I run my car untill just above E every tank and if the pump can't handle that then....well that really sucks and I should fill up more often.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Geoff said:
Running the tank low cannot possibly cook the pump in "minutes" otherwise I would consider it a defective product. I run my car untill just above E every tank and if the pump can't handle that then....well that really sucks and I should fill up more often.

Then you better get a bunch of fuel pumps. Running the tank low lets the pump suck air, this scores the brushes, armature, bearings dry out and the pump overheats. As stated, the fuel is a lubricant, as oil is to an engine. If you keep it low, you probably cooked your pump and they can tell!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turbovanman said:
Then you better get a bunch of fuel pumps. Running the tank low lets the pump suck air, this scores the brushes, armature, bearings dry out and the pump overheats. As stated, the fuel is a lubricant, as oil is to an engine. If you keep it low, you probably cooked your pump and they can tell!
I never said I ran my car out of gas, I just let the gas level get near empty...even under full acceleration in 2nd gear at that fuel level there is enough fuel that it doesn't cutout or anything.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Geoff said:
I never said I ran my car out of gas, I just let the gas level get near empty...even under full acceleration in 2nd gear at that fuel level there is enough fuel that it doesn't cutout or anything.
You don't have to run it out of gas, just low enough to suck air will kill it! Don't shoot the messenger! :(

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wow, 58 psi. I'm getting 40 tops with a 255 and AFPR. When the return line is pinched, the gauge doesn't move. So yeah Geoff I guess we're in the same boat.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Una said:
Actually, I run mine that low all the time, so low that the car cuts out in corners. That's how I know I need to get gas since my gauge died. Been doing this for about 5,000 miles now. The pump is still doing great. I don't think this is this guy's problem.
Your very lucky! :cool:

But you could be right that its not his problem.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
turbovanman said:
You don't have to run it out of gas, just low enough to suck air will kill it! Don't shoot the messenger! :(
LOL, I will spare you this time alone ;) . Im going to check the line inside the tank and hope that is the problem. Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts