Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the max boost you can run, without giving the possiblity of headgasket failure?

I mean, dodge can make a car run 8-10lbs boost stock for 200,000miles with no problem, and i rebuild an engine with mopar HG, proper assembly (as per FSM), mopar headbolts, can i run 18psi with no worry of head gasket failure within 60,000miles if everything else in the motor is as per FSM??? Should i stay closer to 12psi?

I'm sure there are lots of guys on here who want a fast car, but dont want to take it apart every weekend. Just wondering what the happy medium is.

18psi sounds majical becuase it is what the super60 package ran, but how long would that last?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated! :thumb:
-mark

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
it depends.

sorry, thats the best answer you are going to get :)

i wouldnt go higher than 19 or 20 psi on pump gas anyway, and i doubt you would have any problems with that as long as the car is in a good state of tune

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Make sure the block and head surfaces are true and not pitted, use a MP headgasket, ARP studs, proper cal-which means proper tuning-detonation will destroy a head gasket, 180 thermostat, manual fan switch and it will live forever, lol! But seriously, theres no reason it won't live a long time at 18 psi if the above is followed. I am sure I missed something else, care to chime in if I did!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does detonation affect the HG or just the pistons. I'm running forged. If so, i didnt think that detonation affed HG's! Please fill me in turbovanman!
thanks!
-mark

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Detonation will probably pop your headgasket first since you have forged slugs now.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
unclejemima said:
does detonation affect the HG or just the pistons. I'm running forged. If so, i didnt think that detonation affed HG's! Please fill me in turbovanman!
thanks!
-mark
Detonation causes hot and uneven flame fronts which can rattle and melt items. If using cast pistons, they become the fuse, when using forged, the head gasket becomes the next weakest link and hence the next fuse!

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
I was running 34 psi on a regular basis.
If I would have had the proper cooling to cylinder #4 I would have had no problems.
I was not blowing headgaskets, I was cracking pistons.

·
RECORD HOLDER 11second mini
726 Posts
The fuel quality in your area as well as the elevation and many other things all play into the max boost you can run.

Detonation will lift the head causing the gasket to fail eventually.......even if you just lift it once ;)

The best answer is to monitor the knock with a scan tool.Slowly sneak up on the boost until you begin to see knock retard.......then back off the boost to the last setting that had 0 knock retard :thumb:

That's the short version :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess thats why they call you the gasketmaster!;) Thanks.

Unfortunatly, i dont have a scan tool to use. Approx how much are they to purchase?
-mark

·
RECORD HOLDER 11second mini
726 Posts
unclejemima said:
I guess thats why they call you the gasketmaster!;) Thanks.

Unfortunatly, i dont have a scan tool to use. Approx how much are they to purchase?
-mark
You can find them on eBay for under $100 if you are patient ;)

OTC 4000E is what I use but others will work too :D

It's the best $$$ you'll ever spend!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
unclejemima said:
-mark
gasketmaster said:
You can find them on eBay for under $100 if you are patient ;)

OTC 4000E is what I use but others will work too :D

It's the best $$$ you'll ever spend!!!
I just scored an OTC 200 off of Ebay, there are a bunch up there right now. 5 weeks ago, there were a ton, going for 55-220. Then they almost all dissapeared. Came back late last week, I scored mine for 120, shiped insured all that. Auction was for 112 I believe. There are ways to data log off of them too to a lap top. Thats what I wanted it for, but you need to make sure it has the Pathfinder II chip.

Scotts data logger software

Turbo Dodge Run Logger Home

Both fo those guys are on here, the second link tells you what scanners allow data logging.

Hope that helps,
M

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks matt and gasketmaster. Can you run these tools inside the cab while driving to monitor everything?
-mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts