Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea,
Had mysterious coolant leak -needed a pressure test,visited local mechanic. he says(before opening the hood) ..3.0 V6 right, I said Nope, 4 cyl, he opens hood says" oh thats even WORSE" ..Its a TURBO 4cyl". :confused:
Yea..he dosent get it.......
No one does!!!!(well ,If youre here, you do!)
Just thought id share why its RARE that I visit a mechanic.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yeah just fix it yourself. I wouldn't bring it to that a-hole again. He could have at least kept his opinion to himself.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Had a machinist tell me my head was bad for my 2.5 cause it was off a turbo engine. Also didn't understand how I could and why I would want to put a 2.2 CB crank into a 2.5 CB to destroke it. DHUUUR...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
lol....hey, just remember "turbo engines are throw-aways after 100,000 miles"......:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
well did you let him do the test? lol i would of just pulled it out the shop.. leak and all. i mean come one i was at the local chysler dealer and a guy asked me if i would pop the hood becuse he didnt beleave my car was turbo, so i had to exsplain to him only turbo cars came with hood vents, and turbo decals.. and he still wanted me to pop it! and he was i'm guessing over 30.. lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well
He gave me a quote of $270.00 to replace heater lines(metal/hose ) with hose only and a new radiator.
I took it home and thought about it and decided to (as some said here) do it myself.
Radiator new $99
30' of hose $33(I can return 15' bought too much!)
new heater valve(broke the old one)
$18
total $150.00
not dealing with a mechanic?
PRICELESS!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
good work, you can save alot of money doing stuff yourself. ive only ever ONCE took my car to a garage to be fixed (midas to weld a piece of exaust pipe). Sure ive broken stuff and screwed stuff up and not did stuff right but you know the next time you do it your NOT going to screw it up, and you learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Go back there and kick him in the lug nuts!
$270 for the work needed was not too bad though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I cant stand it when someone tells me my car is a piece of junk when they have never owned one. It makes me want to do what crazymadbastard suggested. The only work that i have never done myself is putting exhaust on my 71 demon 340 and my 1974 dart custom 4 door, but every time i talk to someone about my daytona the first words out of their mouth is "those are junk". People used to say that about my dart to until it got a reputation. Imagine the look on the guy in the 4.6 mustang gt convert after i smoked him with a multi colored 74 dart 4 door. He was not happy. people should learn not to pick on the "pieces of junk" because it just may be packin 20+ pounds of boost and a bad attitude, or a roller 318 with 89 truck heads and a good exhaust system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
people should learn not to pick on the "pieces of junk" because it just may be packin 20+ pounds of boost and a bad attitude, or a roller 318 with 89 truck heads and a good exhaust system.
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Any car that takes more work than a toyota corolla is junk to most people. It just depends on what you are willing to deal with to drive a car you like. My alfa takes alot of maintaince too, (timing belts every 30k, adjust the exhaust valves every 15k, etc) but why drive a boring car?

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
i agree with crazymadbasterd...but its even more pricless to see the look on the guy in the mustang's face when you(i) have a ugly fadded red with black/grey/primmer red all over omni that smokes him in the 1/4!!!! that was my old omni i rolled, before i got the nice blue one..
its even better to see the look if they have the GF with them!!!

and how long did it take ya? hour or 2? and if it sat in his shop you wouldnt be driving it now. lol so nice one!

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
I hear this all the time from co-workers because I need paint badly. "When are you going to get rid of that car?" " Why don't you sell that thing" especially when I needed a radiator and had a hard time locating it(thats how I found this site by the way)
Unless you own one you have no idea why you would want to keep it.
I love my car and only a fellow TDer would understand that feeling and appreciate it.
Being in the auto repair industry for 30 years I have worked on everthing and 2.2/2.5 engines are among the easiest to maintain, diagnoise and work on. Chrysler turbo vehicles are part of American Auto Culture and someday will get the credit they deserve from auto enthusiasts.
Most Mopar enthusiasts do appreciate the Chrysler FWD evolution even if they are into 60's,70's muscle cars.I even had GN guys complimenting me and talking to me at the track because we were in the same Turbo fraternity.
But like anything else if you are knowledgable about cars and are into something other than Mopar we are the enemy and that is just respect and brand loyalty.The rest are just ignorant and do not know any better.Remember,alot of our vehicles were built while most ricer's were still in diapers.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
and if it sat in his shop you wouldnt be driving it now. lol so nice one!
So true, most of the time its better to handle it an then get a ride to the shop and then have to beg for your car to be done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts