Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing a lot of you with subscriptions to HotRod Magazine have already heard of the car (featured a month or two back and won its class in DragWeek this last year), but I thought I'd share a video of a cool sleeper built on a LOW budget.

Some guys from my local car forum (GM Modern Muscle) bought a $500 Ford Fairmont (Fox chassis, full interior, 3200lb with driver) and a junkyard 5.3L LS1 (mileage unknown), a Chinese knockoff “Master Power” turbo and eBay intercooler. With a few donated parts from board members (Z06 cam, TH400, wastegate, BOV, 8.8” Ford rear-end with 28-spine axles) they built a beast to compete on Pinks (haven’t been there just yet).

Hundreds of dragstrip passes and dozens of dyno pulls later, the thing still hasn't broken (doesn't even smoke) and they think they might now have the fastest stock LS-based long block car around.

Check out this video from KCIR last weekend:
1320Video - The Fairmont's new 1/4 Mile Time

Needless to say, they got kicked from the track on that last run (no cage, no driver certification, etc). :thumb:

·
Registered
296 Posts
that things a monster... what did you do for spark? i wanna boost my truck but i gotta get a spark box and a carb... or pressure box my carb

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that things a monster... what did you do for spark? i wanna boost my truck but i gotta get a spark box and a carb... or pressure box my carb
I cannot take any credit for the project. But as far as I know, they are running EMSPro, a MegaSquirt-based EMS made by Spectre Performance (and donated to the project by the EMSPro's creator, also a member of the forum) to control fuel and spark. Parish (of 10-second 4WD turbocharged Silverado fame) headed the project. He ran that cheap-ass MegaSquirt on his DragWeek winning Silverado too. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
That was pretty bad ass. :D

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I am going to guess the th400 and converter are "expensive" junk ;)

A ford website built a crazy mustang for the first 2008 pinks. Traction + 500-600hp can make for a lot of fun in a fairly light RWD car. Especially when its not busy blowing up like the cars on pinks that never get tested before racing.

Posting videos of the car isnt the best way to get the car on Pinks though.
Also, with their new rules, taking a cheater 8 second car to a 11 second race just doesnt work anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts

A ford website built a crazy mustang for the first 2008 pinks. Traction + 500-600hp can make for a lot of fun in a fairly light RWD car. Especially when its not busy blowing up like the cars on pinks that never get tested before racing.

Posting videos of the car isnt the best way to get the car on Pinks though.
Also, with their new rules, taking a cheater 8 second car to a 11 second race just doesnt work anymore.
They are already working with pinks on scheduling.

They know the best approach to winning the race, but they wanted to have fun along the road.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most def. That's why it helps to have a local car forum full of guys willing to donate stuff knowing full well that everything could be lost on Pinks.

I think the fuel cell and fuel system were not exactly cheap junk either. ;)

Aside from being amazed that everything else is holding up, I am shocked that the stock 28-spline Ford 8.8" LSD has held up to so much drag radial abuse. They narrowed the rearend using a Sawzall on the axle spines and ends of the housing so they could fit wider tires. :rofl2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most def. That's why it helps to have a local car forum full of guys willing to donate stuff knowing full well that everything could be lost on Pinks.

I think the fuel cell and fuel system were not exactly cheap junk either. ;)

Aside from being amazed that everything else is holding up, I am shocked that the stock 28-spline Ford 8.8" LSD has held up to so much drag radial abuse. They narrowed the rearend using a Sawzall on the axle spines and ends of the housing so they could fit wider tires. :rofl2:
thats some good fab work right there.... usually you dont see people that have the skill to do stuff like that with waht they have

1 - 12 of 12 Posts