Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking for the shield that bolts to the middle of the k-frame. It can be seen from from underneath and it has a rubber edge on the bottom. Used on the L-body Turbo Cars. Need the shield and attaching hardware. If someone can help properly name this shield it would be appreciated. Thanks! shipping would be to cincinnati, ohio 45219

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
used on all the turbo cars
Can you elaborate on it's function possibly? My understanding is that the hood vents were put on the turbo cars to act as a chimney and vent out hot air when the car is at a stop. When the car is in motion the air flows in the hood vent and down to cool the turbo area and this shield helps to funnel that air into the under car stream of air for evacuation....is that correct?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always assume the low pressure airflow over the hood while moving drew the under hood heat out. And that little scoop took some air from under the car while moving and directed it up towards the turbo for cooling.

But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always assume the low pressure airflow over the hood while moving drew the under hood heat out. And that little scoop took some air from under the car while moving and directed it up towards the turbo for cooling.

But I could be wrong.
Yah, that makes more sense....I just can't remember what was explained as it's purpose from an SDAC way back when.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think you guys are WAY overthinking this. All NA cars from this vintage have them too. I was under the impression that it simply was an air deflector to direct air to the starter as it's sitting between a rock and a hard place (exhaust manifold and engine block). How many times have you discovered your starter wiring connector BBQ'd? Use to be a white connector, now yellow to tan if your lucky.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you guys are WAY overthinking this. All NA cars from this vintage have them too. I was under the impression that it simply was an air deflector to direct air to the starter as it's sitting between a rock and a hard place (exhaust manifold and engine block). How many times have you discovered your starter wiring connector BBQ'd? Used to be white connector, now yellow to tan if your lucky.
Oh yah, ask me about the time when the starter would not stop cranking. Unhooked the battery before too much damage. Had to make a new starter harness for my GLH Turbo.
Still looking for this shield. Todd, if you come across one let me know please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Ah thank you.
The one I listed was a side shield.
See that, an air scoop to deflect cool air up to the starter to help cool it.
That's Chrysler engineering.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
4401321 FRAME BOOT AIR DEFLECTOR SHIELD/STAPLED SEAL 4401432 cast on part
used1988-91 have this NOS

also have these used:

7.5 WIDE 4401432 cast on part /1 ROUND HOLE
7.5 WIDE /2 ROUND & 1 RECTANGULAR HOLES

1 - 14 of 14 Posts