Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

A few months ago I picked up an 89 Caravan. 2.5 common block motor, had been raced at some point, was supposed to have been rebuilt. It was not too expensive (probably too much, but oh well) and I have finally gotten a chance to work on it.

The vacuum harness was hacked to death. I replaced all the lines - got them into some semblance of factory order, hooked up air hoses to intake, turbo output, turbo input with an open element air filter. Previous owner had installed a 52mm throttle body, replaced the mitsu with a garrett, and some other stuff. The Baro solenoid for the MAP sensor was gone - can I use any solenoid for that, or was the baro solenoid special?

Crank the van, it eventually starts, but hard. The idle is hunting a lot - starts with a high idle, then searches a bit, then stalls. If I try to blip the throttle a bit, it stalls hard. It will restart, but again, any attempt to rev it up and it stalls hard. When it got warmed up, it idled at about 900 rpm, but would still stall. I could gently, oh so gently, throttle up to 2000 or 3000 rpm, then it was still skittish. When I shifted (automatic) into drive or reverse got an awful "CLUNK!" and stalled. Over and over again. I hate that clunk...

I was actually able to finally get it to move 10 feet under its own power, back and forth, but it took some fancy brake/throttle/shift footwork. Not what I want.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting this mess? AIS? Bad MAP? A hidden vacuum leak? And what the heck is that clunking when I put it into gear? I'm scared to ask. Anyone got an A-413 lying around, or maybe a nice
A-568? I would like to get this usable in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

Arlie

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
Your clunk is probably a bad motor mount.

As far as the stalling start with the basics....
Cam Timing, Fuel Pressure,etc.
When you check Cam timing be sure the rotor is pointing to # cylinder on the cap/
Since the vehicle will not run you cannot check engine vacuum to the Map or check Ignition Timing. but be sure vacuum is not being stored in the Map line with the engine off, this will throw off the controllers initial baro reading.
The Baro Solenoid is a normally open solenoid and the controller will command it closed.
The solenoid missing will not create your stalling issue.

Is there any signs of black smoke,any backfire, are the plugs showing any signs of fouling, any signs of coolant in the oil or on the oil cap?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings!

Thanks for the quick reply - I've not been able to climb back under the van yet - but here is what I have found so far -

Motor mount - Good call - the mount that is in there now is toasted. I've got a new one to put in tomorrow -

Stalling - I may not have been clear in the first post - The van will actually run. It just doesn't like it as much as I would like :D I will check engine vacuum tomorrow, too. I'll also check the baro solenoid and make sure that it is a normally open solenoid.

There isn't really any black smoke - the exhaust looks normal - no signs of oil in the coolant. Of course, the coolant is fresh - and the van has not been run much, so if there is a problem there I might not see it yet.

When I got it running last weekend, I was able to get it to idle long enough to get to running temp. The fan kicked in, and all of that system seemed to be fine.

Thanks again, and I'll pop another note here after I check the things you've mentioned so far.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts