Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
874 Posts
Enough to pump the lifters back up after 5 mins idling or tapping it up to 2000rpm for a few secs always seems good to me... I run 5W30 Castrol High Mileage*, the gauge is broke, but the idiot light stays off.

(*Consumption on that is about half a quart for the first 1000 miles on the change, and half to one quart on the next 4000... whereupon it will turn black, start smoking and need a change NOW!!! getting 23mpg with no smoke between changes, on a regular 20W50 it was a quart every 1000 and still smoking, getting ~21mpg, on regular 20W50 and 3 cans of bardahls #2, minor consumption, no smoking but heads got sludgy and 19mpg. On regular 5W30, forget it, dunno what the gas mileage was, but oil was only doing about 50mpg and leaving a smoke trail even on the highway.)

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Enough to pump the lifters back up after 5 mins idling or tapping it up to 2000rpm for a few secs always seems good to me

I forget the forum, but it was a 4x4 forum where some tech advice that works well for me, the guy posted rev the engine at 3000rpm for 30 seconds, let off a minute and if its still there repeat. It works well on my SOHC, not so much on my DOHC though, the DOHC will usually go away after a few heat cycles, stupid 1st gen lifters :(

I use castrol GTX 5w30, my cheap catch can I made about 3 weeks ago already has close to 1 cup, I should take pics of how the oil break down looks!

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
I use 20w50. I also used some lucas oil treatment and Restore.
The restore helped my blow by quite a bit and the lucas + the 20w50 really kept my oil pressure up and oil consumption down.
I prolly put maybe a quart in between oil changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.