Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at using the unusual 3rd gen minivan complete front aluminum K frame into a 1st gen van?

I have looked at them at the wreckers (not measured yet) ,and even though they are a completely different design,they look to have there mounting points in the same location as the early steel style.The section in the middle might be an issue with the firewall,just from looking,and the steering rack looks like the later column may have to be used.The strut towers look to be a similar width apart as the 1st gen too.
I have read that the 3rd gen has a 3" wider track,but don't yet know where the extra width is made up.The rear axle is an easy swap to gain the wider track,so no problem there,and they are easy to find with rear disc set-ups too.

I got side tracked with this thought,while looking at AWD pieces....I will have to go back with a measuring tape etc,as it looks interesting.

Anyones thoughts???:D

·
Registered
999 Posts
A waste of time, effort, & resources. WAY too much fabbing for a negligible, if existent, gain. IMHO, you're thinking too much.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A waste of time, effort, & resources. WAY too much fabbing for a negligible, if existent, gain. IMHO, you're thinking too much.
Have you by chance seen or read about my van?? Your entire comment could be applied to any area of the project lol.

I was looking at the late stuff while looking for AWD pieces for a conversion,and couldn't help but wonder if the K frame swap had been looked into or not.If I am removing both front and rear assemblies from my van,to swap in AWD gear,then I want to look at all options first.

Again,has anyone else looked into doing this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts