Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the coil, distributor, cap and rotor in 86 Daytona with a 2.2 turbo....car does start but constantly has misfire and will not take any kind of throttle. Disconnected CTS to set timing but the mark on the flywheel is all over the place (flucuates between 0-12 degrees advanced). Also coil gets hot to the touch after only a few minutes of stumbling along.
I did notice with the timing light hooked up, the firing on cylinder #1 is very erractic.
Any Help is greatly appreciated! This is a new adventure for me so please be nice.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
erratic timing, hmm

you didnt mention plug wires.. at least ohm-meter each (including coil wire) to make sure they are all functional = similar in resistance

some cheap aftermarket distributor rotors suffer from the 'shutter wheel' (metal ring w/4 tabs which triggers the HEP) coming loose from the plastic rotor 'body',

EZ to check and rule out:
there should be NO motion 'tween the shutter wheel and the rotor body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked to make sure there was no "wiggle" room between the shutter wheel and rotor assembly...was the reason i changed distirbutors in the first place...
Any reason why the coil gets hot so quick? I understand they will eventually build up some heat but mines is hot within a couple minutes of starting.

·
Administrator
24,983 Posts
First, did you get the correct coil?
Chrysler coils use an internal resistor.
Verify the primary resistance of the coil is 1.4 ohms.
With the engine running what is the voltage at the coil + terminal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has the external resistor, its mounted right next to the coil and feeds into the + side of the coil.
I will have to check voltage when I get home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wires went on the same way they came off...old coil was getting hot too, thus reason for the change...thought it was the reason for random misfire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thought maybe could be bad fuel...i got the car after it sat for about 4 years and was told there is premium (racing) fuel in it...about 1/4 of a tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts