Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, this is probably going to seem like a stupid question but here we go. How much shaft play can you have on a mitsu turbo. When I reach inside the inlet housing I can move the shaft around a little. If I gently grasp the shaft with needle nose pliers, the play seems even worse. The thing seemed quiet and seemed to boost ok before I tore it apart. The reason I ask is I just got laid off from my job and Im pinching every penny I can putting this thing back together. I do have garrett t1 log turbo I could use, but would have to make the required mods to put it on there and Im not to sure if its in any better shape. Any insight would be appreciated.

· Registered
727 Posts
If it worked fine before being pulled then it should work fine when installed back in car. The slop should be filled with the oil that will be passing through the center cartridge of the turbocharger when the engine is running. There is a technical spec and testing procedure that you can do, but I have a feeling that it will be fine. Although, if you can easily swap to the Garrett then you minds well do it. The Garrett is a superior tc and can put out more power for your adrenalin needs.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it worked fine before being pulled then it should work fine when installed back in car. The slop should be filled with the oil that will be passing through the center cartridge of the turbocharger when the engine is running. There is a technical spec and testing procedure that you can do, but I have a feeling that it will be fine. Although, if you can easily swap to the Garrett then you minds well do it. The Garrett is a superior tc and can put out more power for your adrenalin needs.
Yeah, I think your right. The more I look at it, it isnt bad enough to let the wheel touch the sides of the housing and the car didnt smoke or anything like that. Besides I would imagine the turbos in both of my other tds probably have more play as they both have over 160,000 and on thier original turbo's. This will give me a good excuse to upgrade later when I have more funds. Thanx:D

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts
its hard to describe 'how much is too much' ; I installed a gorgeous NOS, in the bag, log-TI (which I converted to TII) which had some radial play, but no axial ..

*I think* if the radial play uses up less than half the available clearance of blade to housing, then it has some miles on it, but is OK to run ..

3/4 of the clearance ? start prepping the Garrett for eventual replacement ! port it up, get a TII comp housing, watch for a 2.5" SV ...

'Gut' is right in that once theres oil running thru it , it will tighten up some ...

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its hard to describe 'how much is too much' ; I installed a gorgeous NOS, in the bag, log-TI (which I converted to TII) which had some radial play, but no axial ..

*I think* if the radial play uses up less than half the available clearance of blade to housing, then it has some miles on it, but is OK to run ..

3/4 of the clearance ? start prepping the Garrett for eventual replacement ! port it up, get a TII comp housing, watch for a 2.5" SV ...

'Gut' is right in that once theres oil running thru it , it will tighten up some ...
Sounds like a plan. I was going to eventually put the garrett on there anyway, but I wanted to send it in and have it rebuilt and retro fitted since it is off of a 87 t1 log car and I am putting it on a 88 t1. The garrett seemed quite a bit slower to spool but oh my god would it boost. I think the slow spool had quite a bit to do with the stock resrictive log intake and exhaust. Will I have to change anything on the down pipe or is everything the same? Thanx for the input!!!

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts
turbo DPs and swingvalves (SV) were 2.25" up to 89 then they were 2.5"

start saving $ up for a better exhaust system...

and also look out for an 89 up mitsu 2.5" SV (if u plan to use the Mitsu)
or
an 89 TII ONLY 2.5" SV (or an aftermarket equivalent from TU or FWD, if you plan to use the Garrett)

then you need an 89-up down pipe :)

and you need a "TII compressor housing" to convert your log-TI garrett to be compatible with the later 1-piece intake, and/or to intercool it ; alternatively our vendors sell "TII adapters" to convert the TI comp housing to a TII

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.