Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your doing a swap from a mitsu turbo to a garrett turbo on a 91 2.5L C/S what else is needed to do the change, I was thinking of looking for about an 89 Garrett or so. Or would i be better off buying a different turbo? Any info on this is much appreciated. I looked on the dodge garage but i only found the T1 to t2 conversion with the T1 already being a Garrett. Thanx

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just get a turbo with the swingvalve, wastegate can, and oil and coolant lines and you should be good to go. 89 would be the one to shoot for since it has the 2 1/2 swing valve like your mitsu and the bigger wastegate can.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Make sure when you buy the Garrett that you get its oil and coolant lines, as they are different from the mitsu.'s.

You'll also need a Mopar Performance Headgasket (no other brand will do), and maybe 10 new head bolts, depending on if the ones on there now have been turqued twice or more. If unsure, just buy new ones anyways.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yup, it should bolt right in.

Oh and make sure when installing the turbo to the exhaust manifold, you tighten the living $H!T out of the bolts, as there is no gasket in between...kinda weird, I dont know why there isnt one. :confused:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah some people say to put grease between the turbo and manifold and as it burns off the carbon creates a seal. Don't know if it does anything or not but I did it when I did the swap and it didn't hurt. I think if you get turbo with a 2 1/4 inch swingvalve 88, and older, then you have to do some tweaking to get it to work with your 2 1/2 downpipe but the 89 turbo will bolt right up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was thinking of swaping my Mistu out of our 90 Shelby 2.5L for my "spare" garrett turbo
but I am wondering what effect it would have on the auto tranny?
I figure 12-14 PSI of Boost on the 2.5L should be fine as long as I intercool it.
any thoughts?
Bearcat

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I just did the swap on my 89 Shadow. No effects at all on the tranny. Boost just doesn't come in as fast as the mitsy turbo. But it definately feels stronger than it did whith the mitsy. I'm guessing that uncorking the turbine section did the "upgrade". And when I add an intercooler, I'll be even happier.

Wink

·
Registered
361 Posts
mwinkle353 said:
I just did the swap on my 89 Shadow. No effects at all on the tranny. Boost just doesn't come in as fast as the mitsy turbo. But it definately feels stronger than it did whith the mitsy. I'm guessing that uncorking the turbine section did the "upgrade". And when I add an intercooler, I'll be even happier.

Wink
Your saying once the turbo comes online it feels more powerful...
I guess I will find out sometime this year.. :)

Bearcat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts