Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd post my build while it's still in progress. Maybe find some advice from those who have travelled the road that ahead of me. I picked up this 1991 Montero in Vegas for 500 bucks a few years ago. (still the biggest gamble I've made there) My fiancé at the time, suggested I maybe think about driving something that was a bit more "family oriented" So a new project car was born. She was in pretty rough shape. The engine was basically apart at time of purchase. In 2017 I rebuilt the 12v SOHC 3.0 with off the shelf parts but have since wanted a bit more power. Currently the engine is a 3.1 with the amount of boring it needed. I painted the roof, fitted some new wheels and put a stereo in. We've driven her up and down the west coast, nearly every city of PCH. I'm putting together a built engine with my machinist.

As some of you California based 3.0 owners may know, the Paxton SN-89, 91, 92, 93 superchargers have a CARB EO number making this install completely smog legal for on highway vehicles. I ended up finding an SN-89 removed from a fox body Mustang kit on FB marketplace for 500 dollars. I reached out to Paradise Wheels, who has taken over the older generation Paxton support and maintenance, about getting it refurbished. He offered me an upgrade as many Mustang, Camero and even Avanti Studebaker owners look for period correct Paxton chargers. So I sent my charger in and he returned a new Paxton SN-2000 with CARB EO stamp. With the pulley installed, we speculate it should make a healthy 7 or so PSI. Plenty for what I need. At least to start with.

A month ago I finally found another 1991 Montero in a parts yard and paid the yard-shark 110 bucks to pull it for me. I stripped it and took the heads and block to my machinist. The crank was toast, the heads were both cracked. There's a company on Ebay called TOPLINE that shipped me two heads for 250 with delivery. They've been machined and cleaned up. Hell of a deal honestly. They had a ton of them as of this writing. My machinist said they did a decent job as well. At this point the heads have been disassembled and we're doing Viton valve seals, a street port/polish and valve job. Will be using ARP studs (tho I read this may or may not be necessary). The lower has been hot tanked and dipped, bored over, decked, Oliver forged rods and 3000GT forged crank will be balanced and installed on ACL race bearings. Ross Racing is currently tooling up some forged pistons. Basically the same as an OEM piston just forged. Same CR and everything. Factory OEM gasket kit, pumps, harmonic balancer, distributor, Alternator, etc have arrived and will be installed. I'm looking at the RPW exhaust manifolds as well. Already have a upgraded exhaust and cat converter.

At the moment, my focus is on fueling and management. As I'm not making a big power build yet, I'm of two minds. Overbuild with standalone EMS or something like an Emanage Ult (which I already own) or maybe a MAF Translator Gen 2. I'm planning on redoing the fuel system. I think my current tank has rust and crud in it. I think that's why the current engine is down on two cyls. Not bad but enough that I don't feel comfortable supercharging it. The fuel filter needs to be replaced very often otherwise stuttering can occur. I'll likely find a tank in a yard or have mine coated. Looking at the Aeromotive 320LPH fuel pump, replacing the fuel lines, upgrade the fuel rail. I've read there's a common lean condition on 3.0 engines. 4x4wire has a thread where a fella supercharged his Montero but lost 6. 3000GT forums have echoed a similar behavior. Injectors will likely be upgraded to 3000GT sizing 370 or so. I may need to have a fuel rail made. The 3000GT fuel rails would be enough but the injectors appear to have a different angle of insertion into the heads. Can't confirm this, yet.

I spoke to a respected 3000GT tuner in San Diego this week. He was encouraging me to not use the Emanage and instead go with the MAFT or even a RRFPR as the goals I'm looking for are not a significant ask to the factory system. His issue with Emanage is "logging the factory ECU". Which I've not been able to wrap my head around the context. I get how the Emanage and the MAF Translator are different. And really the MAFT grants the option for better intake flow. Hard to decide.

I would love to hear thoughts, concerns, insults, etc. Especially in regards to fueling and EMS.

cheers,

poorman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Goforth. Yeah I'm excited to see it all come together. And it's a shame all these lovely parts will end up inside the block. They're lovely to look upon.

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Block has been line honed, bored over and is basically ready to go. Pistons finally came back from Ross Racing and I ended up getting a good deal on skirt and thermal coating. The forged crank has been balanced and fitted.

So the attention has been focused on what to do with the heads. Already doing a port and street valve job, Uprated the valve springs. I may eventually put a higher lift cam in. My machinist and I had a discussion about head gaskets the other day. We have both OEM SOHC gaskets and also Cometic MLS gaskets. Figured we'd decide later which way to go. I guess later is upon us. So the MLS gaskets designed to fit the 24v SOHC and DOHC are really close to fitting the 12v heads. The plan is to reweld a few holes to change the shape, then weld a bit of material to the left side of the head to get it to fully seat the gaskets around the oil returns. I feel like the OEM composite 12v gaskets would likely be fine for the target boost I'm looking to hit. However, it's easier to do the work for the MLS gaskets and if it leaks, use the composite gaskets later. Versus, just go with the composites, find out they can't hold the boost, tear down the heads do what I'm doing now, later... Just do the work. Do it right (and cross your fingers).

I've also been acquiring all manners of fuel and timing management. I have a new Emanage Ultimate, MAF Translator 1, MAF Translator Gen 2. I'm leaning towards the MAFT Gen 2. I've already upgraded the fuel pump to an Aeromotive 340LPH and replaced the lines. It's running great actually. Went ahead and purchased the 3SX fuel rails but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't fit after all. Pacesetter exhaust from Australia has arrived. Lots to do yet.

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on the engine build. All machine work has been completed and the engine has been assembled.

The deck was extended out to accommodate the turbo MLS headgaskets. We used a high temperature expoxy then decked the block. (aka hitemp JB Weld)

And here is the portion of the heads that has been welded outward. Really wasn't that big a deal.

Intake and exhaust ports have been opened a bit and bends have been massaged.

Cleaned up the combustion chambers a bit. Nothing wild.

Baked on valve cover paint. Going for more of a chromatic look under the hood rather than that piss colored tin look.

I think I've settled on going with the with MAF Translator 2 and uprated injectors. Going to test fit the fuel rails from 3SX this weekend maybe install some accessories that won't impede the installation.

cheers

poorman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts