Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going everyone...just wanted to pop in and introduce myself to the site. Ive always been a Dodge fan, especially the turbo dodge cars (mainly the Daytonas). I used to own a 87 shelby z and i loved it but sold it at the time because i was more focused on moving away for college. Just picked up an 89 daytona es turbo 5 speed and im itching to mod it already. im the second owner off the car and it looks and runs great. Gonna need some advice from you guys since its been a while since ive had one of these (i got into the honda scene for a bit but got tired of dime a dozen cookie cutter cars, lol). I literally sold my integra asap once i saw this Daytona for sale. Mopar or no car right? :) so i look forward to chatting with the members on the site, and can definetely use some guidence on a mods list. The car is going to be my daily driver and im aiming for the mid 200 HP range. I plan on keeping the 2.5 engine, mainly looking for some mods to wake it up. And i know..the tiny mitsu turbo needs to go. Already picking up a k/n drop in filter, looking around at some exhaust systems, A/F gauge and boost gauge comming soon, FMIC, etc. I can pretty much consider my next pay check gone...lol. By the way, any TD guys in the CT area, let me know! And heres my new baby (girlfriends already jelous..haha)

daytona.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Welcome! now I may be wrong but if your car is a factory 89 turbo 5spd it should have come with a 2.2, a factory intercooler (not a very good one but its better then nothin) and a garret t3 with the more desirable 2.5" swing valve. you will also have a heavy front sway bar, a short throw shifter (in all reality the shifter arm is just shorter, but hey, you move your arm less while shifting) a desirable A555 transmission and a forged crank. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You should look at the 20 PSI thread as well

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Nah the ES never came TII, it was a 2.5 turbo 1, no intercooler and a mitsu turbo. The plus side though is the 2.5 is a strong motor. Start off by getting yourself and IC, and taking care of anything out of kilter.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
yea you could get a 5spd behind the 2.5 Luke :) You should know that. The only time a 5spd dictated wether it was intercooled or not was on the 87/88 ShelbyZ.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Get a Wideband A/F meter. Look at Innovatemotorsports.com, find what setup you want and go to Ebay for the best price.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yea you could get a 5spd behind the 2.5 Luke :) You should know that. The only time a 5spd dictated wether it was intercooled or not was on the 87/88 ShelbyZ.

Same with 89 Shelby
5 spd - T2
Auto - 2.5

Welcome DaytonaDude89. I always like intercool and better exhaust for the first steps. Turbo can wait until you start pushing the boost past 14.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I don't know why he should know that, not something everyone knows. His experiance with you should think T1 with auto trans. Luke has learned a lot though in a short period of time though

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
correction noted, but I was of the understanding that any 89 factory turbo 5spd daytona or lebaron came with all the goodies.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
correction noted, but I was of the understanding that any 89 factory turbo 5spd daytona or lebaron came with all the goodies.
an intercooled car was a 5 speed, both cars with an intercooler normally came loaded. Shelby or GTC were both high level trim cars. The CS being the exception.

Normally the 2.5 auto was popular, people that wanted the 5 speed wanted the hot rod T2 anyway. So a 5 speed 2.5 is a lot more rare but out there.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Welcome To The Forum:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts