Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I just received my new Mopar Performance Computer for my 87 Town & Country. (Thanks Bill!!) In the box was a slip of paper with a little information I have not come across this in the forums so I figured I’d post it up.

It reads as follows:

Mopar Performance Instruction Sheet
(Revised 6/91)

For 1984 Turbo I Computer Package – P4529868
For 1985 Turbo I Computer Package – P4529869
For 1985 Turbo w/MP Intercooler Computer Package – P4529870
For 1986 Turbo I Computer Package – P4529871
For 1986 Turbo w/MP Intercooler Computer Package – P4529872
For 1987 Turbo I Computer Package – P4529873

NOTE:
These computer packages use remanufactured computers. The part number of the computer will be different than the part number of the complete package. Any questions regarding ordering of these computers, or their use, should refer to the part number of the complete package, not the part number of the individual computer.

P4529868 supersedes P4349139
P4529869 supersedes P4349743
P4529870 supersedes P4452119
P4529871 supersedes P4349818
P4529872 supersedes P4452121
P4529873 supersedes P4452743

Your MP Computer is a direct replacement for the computer that is in your car. To work properly, make sure that the model year of the computer is the same as the model year of the car.

These MP computers are designed for use on vehicles that are equipped with production non-intercooled turbocharged systems, or MP intercooler kit for 2.2 turbocharged cars. (P4349618) Do not use on production 1987-89 Turbo II intercooled, or Shelby GLHS, Lancer or CSX vehicles. P4529873 can be use don 1987 Thrifty CSXT vehicles. Features include higher full time boost levels (10psi for non-intercooled computers and 13 psi for intercooled computers), faster spark advance curve and increased fuel delivery to compensate for the additional boost and aggressive spark advance, and maximum RPM shutoff has been raised.

NOTE:
Best performance is obtained when the engine is shifted between 5500 and 6000 RPM. The use of the highest octane unleaded fuel is recommended. Lower octane fuel will inhibit the performance potential and could result in serious engine damage or failure due to detonation. DO NOT disconnect the detonation sensor on any turbocharged engine!

The production computers are located behind the right hand kick panel underneath the dash. Use a Phillips screw driver to remove the right hand door sill trim and kick panel. A 7/16 socket removes the two nuts holding the computer. Carefully disconnect the red and blue pin connectors, the hose to the map sensor (all 1984-86 models and 1987 Shelby Chargers) and remove the computer. The 1984-86 models MP computers do not include a new MAP sensor. Use the sensor from your existing computer or purchase the proper one from your Mopar parts dealer.

To change the MAP sensor, remove the two screws that attach the MAP sensor to the case of the computer. Lift the MAP sensor out of the computer and note the 3 wire connector attaching the MAP sensor to the circuit board. Disconnect the 3 wire connector from the circuit board and remove the sensor. Install the MAP sensor in the new MP computer in the reverse order.

On 1984 vehicles, (MP computer package P4529868) a boost operated bleed must be installed in the hose connecting the wastegate of the turbocharger to the vacuum tree fitting on the top of the intake manifold. Cut the hose close to the intake vacuum tree fitting in two, and reconnect with the plastic T fitting supplied. Attach another short piece of hose to the open leg of the T fitting, and install the one-way check valve (black and white ends) so that air can flow from the line, through the valve, and out to the atmosphere. (Blowing through the valve will determine which way it needs to be installed.)

After installation check the initial timing with a timing light and the engine running. Remember to disconnect the wire to the engine coolant sensor. The sensor is threaded into the cylinder head near the upper radiator hose. The correct setting is 12 degrees before TDC with the engine idling at 800-900 RPM. Shut the engine off, reconnect the sensor and your ready to go.

With the extra boost the engine and drive train will be stresses higher, and may cause a decrease in durability and reliability. The readings you observe on a boost gauge should be within +/- one PSI of those adversised (10 psi for non-intercooled computers, 13 PSI for intercooled computers). This is due to variances in boost gauge calibrations, vehicle exhaust systems or general overall engine condition and mileage, and is considered normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts