Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at putting togather a s60 for my Z who runs/ran this set up on there td/sd what arew the advantages and disidvantages...what all is there to the kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering it says one tdg that you have to run race gas on the 18psi seting but that is the ONLY place ive read that says that..is this true?

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
i know the S60 computer and injectors are availible. The Viper fuel pump im sure is obtainable. Not sure about the intake manifold or the turbo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intake i dont think so but i dont think its "NEEDED" I found my dads mopar performace catalog for 97 lol to make up the kit it lists a Hight performace I.C., Cam, Big valve race ported head, comp, a s60 turbokit which is the turbo +40 injectors and a 3bar and the fuel pump....If I build this kit up I will use a aftermarket fmic, s60 cam, work a swirl or g head, s60 comp turbotronics s60 turbo for tu.com, injectors, 3 bar, 255 fuel pump.....I just wonder about the compuor how good it is and if i have to run "race gas" on 18 psi..

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Things have changed a bit since then. You don't need the cam or the head. Then you want to use 3" exhaust not 2.5" like the s60 car. The intercooler they used was a bolt in POS. Use a big front mount intercooler, 31" x 12" x 3" with 2.5" lines. Then run 3" air intake and a 3" exhaust. Get a ported head from Tyler with +1 valves and PT lifters. Then use a TBI or an F4 depending on the RPM levels you want. Port the snot out of a 2 piece and the factory manifold and bolt on the S60 Turbonetics turbo. FWDperformance has the turbo, the lines to it in SS, the +40 S60 injectors, the 3 bar map, and the stage 5 computer for running over 20 PSI with pump or race gas. Normally the first real step up is a 350 WHP capable engine. From there you want to really add more custom stuff to get the power without the 35 PSI of boost. The S60 was about a 300 WHP setup but wasn't good on the street and wasn't friendly. Going to the high mode with pump can melt pistons without a knock sensor which it doesn't use on high. So for less money you can make more power and have a nice street car at the same time today.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:hail:
:D

Ok sounds good! Do you think this would be a good set up at like 18psi?

Turbonetics T04E T3/T4 Turbo 57-trim (or which turbo do you suggest(cheaper better) ?)
Mopar Performance 11mm Head Bolts
Mopar Performance "005" Headgasket
In-Tank 255 "High Pressure" Fuel Pump
Boost Controller
Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket
ECU 1988/1989 Stage 4 Calibration
Mopar +40% injectors
3 inch MagnaFlow Catalytic Convertor
MagnaFlow 3” muffler
3" Aluminized Rick Diogo Design Downpipe
3-bar Map
intake/exhaust porting

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good info. I am basically doing the same thing with my minivan! Just need to get the fuel and computer side done and slap it all together!

·
Registered
521 Posts
on the high boost on the mopar s60 computer either 100 octane or premium + alky is needed! I have the computer sitting here brand new never used, I would sell it too if your interested.

anyway, then you can set it up so there is one terminal you can ground and it will back the timming off to narmal and only run 14psi.

my friend in a shadow at a good track the s60computer, +40's on a stock t2 tuirbo and engine ran a 13.1 on slicks. so get a turbo closer size to a s60 turbo and the set up makes one awsome rocket.

biggest problem is the s60 uses no 02 sensor feedback for fuel ratio so it is really hard on gas if you street drive it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
anyone know how to switch from 14psi to 18psi on the super 60 ecu?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
yeah they are, but you could do better with a fwdperformance calibration.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Those are still available?!
they were a few years back. I got one for my 87 shelby but didn't want the butcher the wiring harnesses to use it so i went with a fwd stage IV logic module...it pulls pretty hard even with my stock i/c....can't wait til the front mount i/c is installed. Any looking for a mopar s60 smec, I never used mine and it is available.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
i wouldnt waste your time with it honestly, its 80's technology, stuff has come a long LONG way since then.

manual boost controler- g valve or one of the nicer manual ones will do- stay away from the over priced electronic boost controllers, they donw work any better and are a pain to install and set up.
get a walbro fuel pump- like 120 bucks from TD vendors
set of +40's - around 130 bucks
3" swingvalve - 275 bucks new, or find a good used one
3" exhaust with a good free flowing muffler, no cat
front mount intercooler- bar and plate style, on ebay, 100 bucks
either a cal from one of the TD vendors or buy or convert your smec to d-cal, and take the money you save and buy some dyno time with an experienced tuner ( biggest bang for the buck right there)
new turbo- garret GT2860RS "the disco potato" flows enough air for 360 hp and will have virtually no lag on a 2.2 oil and water cooled center with dual ball bearings. will smoke an s60 turbo in every way except price. i see these on ebay from authorized dealers for about 1100 bucks, but worth every penny. im planning on running one when i get a fresh engine in the 'baron. unless you want more than 360 hp that will be the last turbo you'll ever buy.

no matter what you do get it on the dyno and tune it properly. theres no reason you wont be able to run 20 psi on pump gas and get way better results than the s60 kit

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I feel cheated, I bought the entire kit minus turbo, for 300 bucks, but almost everyone, including the Pope, which obviously knows TD's inside and out talk kinda negitive about it. But for that price I had to pick it up. I am going to put it on tune it the best I can and make adjustments or upgrades from there. But seriously, 300 horse power for 300 bucks that is a good deal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts