Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if the answer is already on the forum.

I have a 99 neon with a 2001 2.4 swap, srt4 internals and a JDM t3/t4 turbo kit. The set up is using a missing link. I purchased the car with the understanding that the turbo was working and that everything was installed properly.

Under boost, between 3500 4000 rpm the engine seems to cut out. All power goes away and the the engine jerks and shutters. My air/fuel gauge reads all the way to lean.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the turbo and inter cooler making sure there are no leaks and after that the problem got worse. After talking to the previous owner (the one who did all the work on the car) I found out that he did not upgrade the fuel delivery system, other than putting in 24lb injectors. He told me that I probably had a bad MAP sensor, so I replaced it and it made no difference.

my question is, could this have anything to do with the missing link/tuning, or is this engine starvation due to poor fuel delivery?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
both

24 lb injectors are smaller than stock 146 HP 2.2 T1 injectors.... You need at least a 54 lb or 600 CC injector.

Missing link is basically a map defeater, not a tuner.

Fuel pump upgrade?

Start over, get rid of the injectors and the missing link. Buy Megasquirt 2 or 3. Use the map on the MS system without the missing link added. Buy bigger injectors, S60 / 54 lb injectors at least. Get a 255LPH fuel pump and new filter. At this point you'll have the right fueling and tuning control. A hybrid turbo will flow a ton of air, hopefully you have destroyed the engine with way too little fuel.

read this http://www.neonsquirt.com/joblog/Job_Log_for_Jasons_Neon/Job_Log/Job_Log.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way I can do this for under 500 bucks? After I added all the costs of the parts from my Google search, added the cost to tune with a dyno shop (I have no idea how to tune) my total was over a grand.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
there is no way that it was tuned, other than for cruize and idle. It couldn't be with the injectors you have.

Look at a devils own water injection kit

http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/Category.asp?IDCatalog=100&txtCatalog=Alky/H2O Injection

get the progressive kit, the 4 quart tank and the biggest nozzle. Run E85 fuel in it. Then adjust it to max by 10 PSI and see how far you can go. Most likely you may end up at 8 PSI with the kit to fuel at 8 PSI. This is adding fuel with an extra system that only comes on during boost. So there is only boost tuning. You can add the single phase setup and run the big nozzle. Then turn the boost up to match the fuel. But that will just give a big blast and part throttle boost would suffer. This is a detonation band aid to get you buy for a year. But you'll be filling the tank a lot and may end up with 2 tanks or a sepperate fuel tank and check valve in the trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.