Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, to make it short. Have an 89' base daytona HAD 2.5 TBI. blew that engine about 6mo ago. I figured what a good time to do a turbo swap :)
I found a 89' Daytona C/S with a 2.5 T1 pulled every thing and now it's all in my car. finley got it started last week after finding a new wiring harness. and figuring out that I need to plug in my air bag to get it to start. (don't know if thats normal) The qustion I have has to do with the drivability of it.

The engine was in great shape had a rebiuld tag welded on to it said 01' and a brand spankin new head. turbo is a mitsu, but it was in better shape than any of the garetts i've found. It satrs up every time, and sounds great at idle, but the sec. I tuch the gas it starts to detonate and sputer. If I just feather the gas it will rev up slow and normal sounds good and i can hear the turbo spool, it will rev all the way up to 4 grand if i just hold it there. but put much presure and it will drop off and start to detonate. the fule pump is out of the C/S but it dosent sound that good not like the TBI one did. the computer is out of the C/S but it was an auto. and as of now I have 2 feet of 2.5in, down pipe then a turn down. do I need back presure or do you think i need to look in to the fule sytem?
:bash:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Are you sure about that detonation? Detonation without boost/engine load is pretty much impossible to do.

Did you check computer codes? Sounds like a MAP sensor issue, or maybe just not enough fuel (did you change/check the filter).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

I just got done driving the car and it ran like you junk. but after about 11min or so it just started runing a lot better. so I figured the ecu went in to limp home mode. so when I got home I checked my codes. Sure, I got a code 51. A lean condition that was prolonged and forced it to run rich. I'M sure that it's fule problem now. :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
car runs like the old tbi engine if i remove the boost pipe and wedge open the wastgate swing valve. does sputter some but i think thats becuse, it thinks it has a turbo. no detonation thou. let me know if any one else has an idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
running rich forced, check and see that your charge temp and knock sensors are tight, my 2.2l turbo had these loose and did pretty much the same thing, it now has a HG issue because of it (timing caused motor run to hot.)

-FyRE-

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I must have gottin a bad fuel pump. I switched out the old one for one I found in a 87 turbo z. also grabbed a new map sensor and a boost gage. throu it all in and fires up and runs like a champ now. I had a strange problem where some time the tach would jump to 0 and the engine would feel like some hit the breaks. but I had an extra HEP laying around, I put that in and now all is good.

After I get ride of the tired old TBI clutch ( I hit more than 2 psi and it just spins) :thumb: I will be good to go. Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts