Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in my continuing search for a Shelby Charger I have been popping into some of the various sites to see if they are worth joining and I'm a bit confused. For example, the Shelby Registry only lists certain Dodge Shelbys. No Chargers at all? Are Chargers not really considered Shelbys? Other sites seem to be very dated. No real usable posts for years. This site is the only one I've seen that seems to have regular traffic. I realize that Shelby Chargers are few and far between, believe me I've been looking.

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
the Shelby Registry will only list the '87 GLHS Chargers - 'True Shelbys' - finish assembled at Whittier

the '83.5 - '87 (non-GLHS) Shelby Chargers were not manufactured by Shelby, thus not listed

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
+1 to the above.

Also join Turbo Mopar Forums - Home. It's another good site for our vehicles.

The regular Shelby Chargers are out there. In fact there are two nice ones on ebay right now, but it will cost you. One is an 83 1/2 with 1900 miles on it. The guy wants stupid money for it. There is another that a turbo, but fully worked over, and it's fairly high $$$ as well.

But decent ones can be found for $2000-$3000 if you keep looking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, just to be clear and I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here but, If you want to have your car be part of the Shelby community and be able to attend their functions and such and like the Shelby Chargers then the only one you can buy is a 87 Charger GLHS. Correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, this revelation does present another question. Why is there a blue and white Shelby Charger in the Museum at Shelby American in Las Vegas? Not a black GLHS Charger.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Any Shelby Dodge or Turbo Dodge or Turbo Mopar site or event will no doubt welcome you.

The Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC) hosts an annual event that would also welcome both your attendance and or membership.

Cars like the Shelby Chargers and Daytonas are considered Shelby inspired and are sold as Dodges, not Shelbys', so there is no registry for them.

The blue Charger may be a 1983 1/2 model, the first Shelby inspired Dodge.

Carroll Shelby has been quoted as saying the 1986 4 dr GLHS was his favorite car!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
So, just to be clear and I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here but, If you want to have your car be part of the Shelby community and be able to attend their functions and such and like the Shelby Chargers then the only one you can buy is a 87 Charger GLHS. Correct?
That's not true at all. All Shelby numbered, inspired, or related cars are welcome in the community and at SDAC events. Everything from K cars to R/Ts. We aren't big enough as a community to be that picky about who is allowed where.

The confusion for most people is that Chrysler released cars with a "Shelby" options package. They were inspired by the work Shelby did on the GLH cars and Shelby did a lot of testing for Chrysler in those years. But, Chrysler was just banking on the Shelby name to sell cars. The Shelby Chargers and the Daytona Shelby cars were just factory Chrysler options packages. The cars in the registry were all signed and numbered by Shelby's factory and were very limited in production, hence the registry to keep track of them. At the end of the day though, just the number plate really makes it unique. It's all just a talking point at the end of the day.

Or are you referring to the Shelby meets with just the Mustang and Cobra crowds? Because they can sometimes be a little elitist about what constitutes a "real Shelby".

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
+1 to the above. I am an active member of SDAC, and neither of my cars are "Shelby's". Not even in option packages... But I have been welcomed openly at every SDAC event I have went to. In fact, at last years event in Memphis, I won the truck class with my Scamp, and it was still carbed!!!

It's a good group of guys/gals, and as long as it's a FWD Mopar, you're in. They welcome the Neon & Caliber guys as well. In fact the President of the group has a Neon SRT-4 as a daily driver...

We are not an elitist group like the Ford guys tend to be. We are just an average group of folks who love turbo Mopars...0:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I guess this means I will return to my previous plan of looking for a Blue/White Shelby Charger.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
You may have fun finding a blue/white one, but blue/silver should be easy enough...:wink2:

Just giving you a hard time... The original 83 1/2 Shelby Chargers were all Santa Fe Springs blue with Radiant Silver stripes, until the end of the year, and they did a few Silver/blue stripes. I know in some pictures the silver stripes appear white.

Like Randy said, I'm sure the one in the Shelby museum is an 83 1/2. That was the first Dodge Shelby put his "touch" too... They tweaked the original carbed motor from the standard 94 hp, to 107 hp. Then in 84 it went up to 110 hp.

The first Shelby titled car was the 86 GLHS based on the Omni. Then the 87 GLHS Charger, 87 CSX Shadow, and 87 Shelby Lancer. In 88 it was just the CSX-T, then in 89 it was the CSX & Dakota. After that, he stopped... Chrysler carried on the Shelby badging for another year or two, until Shelby re-signed with Ford...

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
there's been couple SCs on craigslist, from cheap shells to high$ restomods..
try searching there using one of the 'all of craigslist' search engines,

also the facebook L Body page has regular trafic including FS cars

loved my 83.5 SC when I owned it..
not much Hp, but still capable of maintaining very high speeds

then came the GLH turbo's ;)

and then came the TII upgrades !!

·
Registered
449 Posts
the Shelby Registry will only list the '87 GLHS Chargers - 'True Shelbys' - finish assembled at Whittier

the '83.5 - '87 (non-GLHS) Shelby Chargers were not manufactured by Shelby, thus not listed
Why is it that my Mustang GT500 built by Ford and auto alliance is considered a shelby and a non GLHS Shelby charger is not? This info doesnt make sense. Another Ford based requirement? Damn mustang guys! If i have a certificate of authenticity for my mass produced GT500, then any Shelby should be able to get a certificate.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Why is it that my Mustang GT500 built by Ford and auto alliance is considered a shelby and a non GLHS Shelby charger is not? This info doesnt make sense. Another Ford based requirement? Damn mustang guys! If i have a certificate of authenticity for my mass produced GT500, then any Shelby should be able to get a certificate.
Because......the "world" has always hated Chrysler products.

But yeah, JTSbikes, don't get impatient and overpay. You may be able to find a running, low rust car for under $1000. The Shelby Chargers aren't too rare at all.....yet. People are scrapping them everyday no matter how hard I try to save them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hmm.... I never thought about mopar being "third" in popularity and because of this hated. It makes perfect sense though. I wonder why? Things are changing with the hype of the Demon. I think the younger crowd will be Mopar.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Mopars have always been a love hate thing with people. Even when Chrysler was dominating the horsepower wars and in Nascar with the Hemi engines, they still got bashed pretty hard. I've always thought it was because Chrysler likes to do things a little different from everyone else. That philosophy has helped and hurt the company at various times, but it makes them unique. Whether people like Chrysler cars or not, pretty much everyone agrees they have a unique style to them. It's just not for everyone. And the corporate policy of providing performance at the lowest cost has run them into some quality control issues over the decades. It's hard to shake off a bad reputation for quality, especially when you keep making new mistakes and reminding people of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, believe me, it's not just restricted to Chrysler. I have (3) 1979 Mustang Cobras. When I got the first one up and running, took it to the car shows and people were saying "WTH, there's no such thing" they had all kinds of stories and explanations. Then when I got the second Cobra fixed and took them both it really confused them. Proof that they are real. So, I'm quite used to the bashing.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
You ought to see the looks my buddy & I get when we take our L-body trucks to a car show...

Nobody expects to see one, then they see two side by side, and it usually blows their minds...:grin2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oh, believe me, it's not just restricted to Chrysler. I have (3) 1979 Mustang Cobras. When I got the first one up and running, took it to the car shows and people were saying "WTH, there's no such thing" they had all kinds of stories and explanations. Then when I got the second Cobra fixed and took them both it really confused them. Proof that they are real. So, I'm quite used to the bashing.
now that is a stang to be proud of. the turbo model sucked through the carb? Send me a PM and educate me. I thought the SVO was the first.

thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts