Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YouTube - clacking motor
view the video first and the second part will make sense. Can't figure how to embed the video
This is the sound its making. Its not lost any oil pressure nor is it knocking *i know it may sound like that but the sound is a little sharper with the mic on my camera.* Its coming from inbetween the flywheel and torque converter but the drivablility is not a problem just really quite annoying when sitting at stop lights and having people look at your car like "wtf is wrong with it" then i pull away like a banshee

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mods it double threaded... Please delete this thread and continue on the other

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an auto. Motor was put in about a year and a half ago but not by me.

·
Banned
0 Posts
oops nevermind the man or auto...had to re-read it. I'm kinda guessing that a torque converter bolt came out and is being banged around in there

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you sure its a torque converter bolt??? Have you listened to the video??? Would it be the flywheel banging around in there

·
Banned
0 Posts
yeah i found the video...but no i can't be sure since i'm not there to feel it or use a stethascope to hear it. Just randomly started happening?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it happens all the time while driving

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
done it since i had it. I bought the car not running with a supposed rebuilt 10,000 miles motor in it. The car was Jerryrigged together and I had to reroute some lines, put a map and a HEP on it, do some electrical work and it atleast runs now. I can't get my hand up there, how many bolts hold on the flywheel to converter? Can i manually turn the car over with a wrech

·
Banned
0 Posts
Well if your pretty sure that its coming from right between the tranny and motor then there AlomosT has to be something that came loose. I know its not the easist job in the world but i'd start with pulling my tranny and seeing if anything is wrong in between the 2.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I don't have an AUTO but you might be able to remove the flywheel guard from under the car and see if you have anything sitting on the bellhousing of the tranny...and i think you should be able to see the bolts for the torque converter from the timing hole on the top of the tranny

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont have the means to do that in the drive unfortunately... To the yard it goes. I am looking for the quick fix for now till I can get it switched over to manual tranny

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right on I'll do that when i have daylight and a flashlight

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had an issue with my dust shield being bent and rubbing against the flywheel. some a couple of the pilot holes broke and the shield started rubbing making a similar noise to the one you described. just something to check, i dont even know if an auto has a dust cover, i've never worked on one.

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
one of three possibilities;

1. Flex plate to torque converter bolt came loose.
Fix = Remove the inspection shield, then start the car (or just spin it over with the starter and not start it) and see if noise is gone. If it is gone, remove spark plugs so you don't have compression and makes it easier to turn engine over by hand. Visually check each bolt and re-tighten.

2. At least one wrong bolt was used when previous persons put the tranny/engine together. The bolts for the flex plate to crank and the bolts for the flex plate to torque converter and the same thread size and can easily be interchanged. The only problem is the FP/Chrank bolts have a thicker head than the FP/TQ bolts. IF the thicker head bolt is used on the Flex Plate to Torque Converter, the head of the bolt will hit on the inspection pan.
So, If after trying #1 above, you find that all bolts were tight, look carefully at the bolt head and see if one or more is thicker (bad thing would be if ALL were the thicker bolts and you wouldn't be able to see the difference).

3. Flex plate broken
Test; remove all the flex plate to torque converter bolts, the pull/pry on the flex plate, rotate and pull/pry again to see if the flex plate is moving or appears to be broken. Note; DO NOT use the starter to turn the engine over for this test. Only turn it over by hand. If it is broken;
Fix = pull the tranny and replace the flex plate.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts