Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to mechanic to get a few things done. Front crankshaft seal (leaking oil), timing belt, strut bar bushings, drive axle and ball joint on passenger side. all ruined from seal leak. Upon completion, car wouldn't start. must have moved crankshaft, timing. So, he tries to get it in time. Took about 5, 6 times. running ok, but sounds funky. .From inside car almost sounds like a diesel, outside of car, I hear it through exhaust (glass pak mufflers) Just isn't quiet. he said, one of my lifters probably sank when running out of time and it should come back up after I drive it a little. I'm afraid to drive it like this. I want your expert opinions before I make another move. I forgot, it's an 89 caravan sport 2.5 turbo. Thanks

·
Administrator
24,118 Posts
A lifter will make a "tapping" noise and should not affect the starting of the vehicle.

It is extremely easy and common to Not get Cam Timing correct and think it is.
Many on this site with driveability issues have swore up and down it was right and it turns out it was not so that is where I would be looking first.
Also, if belt tension is too tight the belt will make noise.
Once Cam Timing is absolutely correct Ignition Timing must be set correctly.
NOTE...
After ignition timing is set the distributor base should be close to parallel with the block, if it is not then the intermediate shaft is not properly aligned with the crankshaft.

You also need to be sure that all vacuum lines were put back correctly and none were damaged/cracked/broken during the repair process.

CHECKING/SETTING CAM TIMING
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/359212-cam-timing-belt-tension-84-95-a.html

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since my mechanic can't get back to me due to family emergency til next week. Is it safe to drive??? I'm thinking of going somewhere else to have checked today, if possible. The work on car was done under really stressful situation. One of those days where whatever can go
wrong does.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You live in an area where you have quite a few Turbo dodge enthusiasts. If you can't work on your own vehicle, I would suggest that you make contact with the Chicago area SDAC group and solicit one of them to work on your vehicle. Almost all could do the work performed in their sleep, and they would probably do it cheaper besides. Sounds like your mechanic (and I use that term lightly) doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to these vehicles. As mentioned, cam timing is easily screwed up in these vehicles, but super easy to do "IF" you know what you are doing. Pretty clear this guy you used does not. If cam timing is still wrong, I would not drive vehicle very far. Super late cam timing could cause permanent harm to engine. Exhaust sound change, makes it sound like cam timing or ignition timing (or both) is still not correct. Your instincts are correct, trust your gut and find another mechanic who "knows" these vehicles.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I went to mechanic to get a few things done. Front crankshaft seal (leaking oil), timing belt, strut bar bushings, drive axle and ball joint on passenger side. all ruined from seal leak. Upon completion, car wouldn't start. must have moved crankshaft, timing. So, he tries to get it in time. Took about 5, 6 times. running ok, but sounds funky. .From inside car almost sounds like a diesel, outside of car, I hear it through exhaust (glass pak mufflers) Just isn't quiet. he said, one of my lifters probably sank when running out of time and it should come back up after I drive it a little. I'm afraid to drive it like this. I want your expert opinions before I make another move. I forgot, it's an 89 caravan sport 2.5 turbo. Thanks
If he didn't jump the belt and the cam is still in proper timing, he may have not know to disconnect the temp sender when setting timing. You'd have to be a Turbo Dodge enthusiast to even remember that lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I stopped at reputable shop and they said sounds like a lifter or rocker arm. They say timing is fine. I have to have car all weekend, is it ok to drive til Monday.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok everybody, hold the phone. lol. In a much better mood now, I came home and did some checking myself. Low and behold the bolt going into camshaft was totally loose. Tightened it up, and all quiet now. I can't believe none of us noticed it. I can understand last night, all the parts they sent me were wrong, had to keep going back, it got dark, started raining on us. But today, someone should have noticed. I can't believe all the noise that thing made. Goes to show you, sometimes it's the craziest little things you least look for. Again, thanks to all you guys for your advice. And I am going to look up that chapter here and see if I can find any turbo guys around Chicago. Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ok everybody, hold the phone. lol. In a much better mood now, I came home and did some checking myself. Low and behold the bolt going into camshaft was totally loose. Tightened it up, and all quiet now. I can't believe none of us noticed it. I can understand last night, all the parts they sent me were wrong, had to keep going back, it got dark, started raining on us. But today, someone should have noticed. I can't believe all the noise that thing made. Goes to show you, sometimes it's the craziest little things you least look for. Again, thanks to all you guys for your advice. And I am going to look up that chapter here and see if I can find any turbo guys around Chicago. Thanks
Glad to hear that YOU figured it out. The President and vice President of the national SDAC is in your area. I don't think either are on this forum, but JT runs the other forum, besides being chief bottle washer for SDAC. He should be very easy to find and contact.

·
Administrator
24,118 Posts
I am very happy to hear you found the problem causing the noise and corrected it.

I just have a couple of questions if you do not mind.
1)Why was the Cam Sprocket Bolt loosened to begin with, you stated the Front Crankshaft Seal was leaking, not the Cam Seal.
2)Does the car start and run fine now?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were going to do both but, on further investigation the oil leak was coming from crank, also we had wrong size seal, as were most parts. No more house brand, Moog always seems to fit right.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops , yes, seems to be ok now. Was immediately quiet after tightening bolt. And no more oil leak. Yeeaah. Now if I can get the rest of right fitting parts that are ordered, hopefully job can be finished and I'm ready for winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts