Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a vw kit car and want to swap in a 2.2 turbo. kennedy makes and adapter for it . i was planing on buying a running car and pulling the motor,wire's and comp. how hard will this be?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I saw a sandrail with a Phord 2.3 turbo using one of Kennedy's adapter plates a few years ago. I was very nice. I think you will have a real winner. As far as difficulty, I think it shouldn't be too bad. I would strip the harness of everything you don't need and just tie it up out of the way. I would use an external fuel pump and mount the radiator up high. A mild 2.2 T1 should be a real blast in a rail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
car will have a tranny with 4.56 R&P and a .88 4th. looking at a 2.2 or 2.5 turbo with I/C . the good thing is this is a 3rd car so i can do what i want with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Honestly i think that you would be money ahead to just find a complete TD engine and use a mega squirt to control it. It would be a pain in the rear at first but once you get it all together you can tune it to your hearts desire and you wont have to spend hours chasing down electrical problems when they occur. And anytime you hack together wiring it is not a question of if it will fail, it is a question of when it will fail. PLus a mega squirt is really pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I really think that the 2.2 package will be longer than the flat 4 VW. BTW, what kind of car is that? I like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got one of those. It's called a bradley gt. I know with the vw engine the front will lift so have fun with the 2.2 turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I put a spare 2.2 into a sand rail just recently and using the Kennedy adapter it was a piece of cake. It looks like you may have a problem with space in that car. I think the 2.2 will be too long, it hangs off the transaxle quite a bit. I used the stock harness and just removed the wiring that was not needed.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'd upgrade the tranny too, a stock 1600cc makes like 40hp..lol If you toss in a base T1 setup your looking at 140hp.. And if you TII and turn up the boost, 200-300 hp. I'd find a nice 6rib bus tranny and rebuild it, then you'd be ready for the motor. Also, how cool would that be if the 2.2 actually stuck out the rear of the car, maybe its just me but I think that would be pretty wild. Lemme know how it pans out as I have a vw buggy I've been thinking of doing this same setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its an avenger GT-12 and i am hoping that the motor will fit i have 27 inches from the lip of the bellhousing to the first part of the rear fiberglass tht it will hit on, but the rear slants in so there is more room up top. i did plan on removing the swing axl going IRS and putting in a 6 rib bus trans thay are good stock for about 200hp . also my backround is vw for about the past 20 years offroad, drag cars and street cars. this will be my first water pumper to build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put a spare 2.2 into a sand rail just recently and using the Kennedy adapter it was a piece of cake. It looks like you may have a problem with space in that car. I think the 2.2 will be too long, it hangs off the transaxle quite a bit. I used the stock harness and just removed the wiring that was not needed.
do you know haw long the motor is from bellhousing to the pullys? also is the fly wheel 6 or 7 bolt .
and if you could post a pic .

·
Registered
151 Posts
How about going with the 2.5L DOHC from a Subaru. Adapters readily available and it's a pretty good engine and easy to swap. It would probably be a better fit.

My 2 cents.

Greg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
vw505, where are you located in Jax? I'd love to check this thing out sometime when I'm back up from Riddle in Daytona.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Price a good running scooby motor with wires and comp. i could buy a whole running turbo dodge car for the half the price of one.
reaper1 when i get back next sept. from afganistan will have to have you over to check it out and maybe give me a hand or two with the dodge part . i am a vw offroad guy so this is new to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts