Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 2.5 turbo

just bought a 1984 287 G-head from a forum member, it should be here in a few days. He says he doesnt know anything about it, or even why he has it. It was only $67 shipped, and thats junkyard prices, so I figure its worth a shot. It doesnt come with a cam.

So at the moment my plan for the head is (based on research and forum member suggestions):

-visual inspect as much as i can
-have it cleaned (its got flaking red paint)
-have it pressure tested and inspected by machine shop
-have it surfaced if needed
-have valve guides replaced if needed

The parts I need to buy are:

-oversize valve seats
FWDP 58-0780 (exhaust 37mm) $40 for 4
FWDP 58-0779 (intake 44mm) $40 for 4
-oversize valves
FWDP 58-0879 (exhaust 37mm) $60 for 4
FWDP 58-0878 (intake 44mm) $60 for 4
-crane springs
FWDP 58-1071 (not sure how many for $59, assume 8?)
-pt lifters
not sure where to get these
-F2 cam
FWDP 78-0875 + billet option = $349
-valve guides
FWDP 58-1100/58-1099 $64 for 8 (assuming i need that many)

Some questions:
-what do I lose by getting a regrind F2 instead of a new billet one?
-where do I get pt lifters?

And the big one:
Where can I learn about cams? Its the one part of the engine I really dont know anything about and Id like to be able to pick out and understand the cam myself. I dont really know the consequences of lift and duration and I need to know more about it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you're doing PT lifters you cant do a regrind cam. when they re-grind them to get more lobe lift, the base circle gets reduced, and you will have way to much valve lash. you cant add more washers to make up for the difference because the oil feed hole of the lifter will be almost outside the lifter bore.

BUT, i may have found a source for re-grind cams that do not have reduced base circles- they actually weld the cam lobe before regrinding.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you're doing PT lifters you cant do a regrind cam. when they re-grind them to get more lobe lift, the base circle gets reduced, and you will have way to much valve lash. you cant add more washers to make up for the difference because the oil feed hole of the lifter will be almost outside the lifter bore.

BUT, i may have found a source for re-grind cams that do not have reduced base circles- they actually weld the cam lobe before regrinding.
what about just using the "high rpm lifters" that fwdp offers along with their cams in a package?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts