Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys this past saturday at about 10:30 at night I was on my way back from the local dragstrip where they were hosting the snowbird nationals when the worst thing happened.
On the way home me and my friend (he was in front in his taurus) were driving over an overpass when we got to the top we saw that there was an accident that was completely unseen from any spots but the top.
So at the top we see all the traffic backed up and we hit our brakes hard to try and stop but knowing my dodge couldnt go from 80 to 0 in only about 10 car lengths i went left into the grass/center path to avoid a wreck when my friend at the last second jumped out in front of me at the worst time causing me to hit him since there was a guard rail to the side.

So now here is the damage and too my surprise it still runs and nothing suspension was touched just the radiator and a few other things got slammed along with the frame and hard as heck to find body panels. The only thing tat sucks is I just rebuilt it 2500 miles ago and and just painted it a month ago.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can lose your pride and joy so quick..happens in a blink of the eye. Had a really close call in my R/T a few months ago and lost a rare subaru far too soon several years ago.

So sorry to hear about the accident and good luck with fixing or replacing your ride

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Speed limits on highways in FL are mainly 70. So 80 is not out of the question. That is a cruising speed.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
And that sucks man. Maybe you can find the time and energy to rebuild her and not send her to the crusher.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sorry to hear man. I'd be so upset if anything happened to my Daytona. Hope you can find another good cheap TD and get back on your feet. Use what you've learnt on this one to make the next even better!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
that sucks. I painted my SC years ago and let my girl friend drive it. Bad move, the battery blew up and she let it burn to the ground running.

I second that 80 isn't going too fast in Florida. Southern west coast is 95-105, flow of traffic. Speed limit in Utah is 80 lol.

Sounds like you weren't really on the brakes that hard expecting to dodge it all. SLH 3 next time around!

·
Banned
516 Posts
Definition: "Too fast" 1) too fast to make a last second maneuver to avoid an accident. 2) too fast for the weather conditions 3) too fast to safely control your car. 4) too fast for your old worn tires. 5) too fast for your old worn brakes. 6) too fast for the other drivers around you to react to your foolishness......998) too fast to hold your state driver's license 999) too fast for Smokely to write you a ticket. 1001) over the speed limit.

I hope you are able to rebuild your car and keep a Mopar alive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about accident. Glad you weren't hurt. I had a similar incident a while ago (2 month old car). That really bites. Hope you can find the pa:mad:rts to fixer up.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
wish you lived closer!! i could fix that in a couple of days!!! i have a pic and pull here that has a 024 that is yellow and i could use the parts to fix it in no time!!! if some thing it needed drop me a PM and i can see about pulling some parts for ya!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1) 80 is almost slow on the highway in florida
2) I was at the snowbird nationals at the track
3)The overpass i went over showed no sings of an accident till you were at the top and i went to the side on my brakes hard but it wasnt gonna stop in the maybe 10 car lengths i had which isnt very much doing 80. I went to the side early just at the last second my friend in a taurus saw he wasnt gonna make it and jumped in front of me
4)Ive already had to get the parts once and it took 4 months and was impossible to find and the radiator support is literally smashed in along with the radiator the driver part of the frame is crumbled pretty bad so idk if its worth rebuilding. the main problem is that fiberglass piece in the bumper cover that holds the headlights
5)im still a kid making not alot of money at a local hyundai dealership due to not being 18 and in school
6)TD's are a thousand time better than hyundais (since i got beat in a company 2012 hyundai veloster by a stock honda crx and the genesis coupe has a crappy mitsu 2L in it)
7)I think im gonna pull the shocks and struts, seats, engine (for my dads rampage) and sway bars and sell them when i have time to do it all
Lastly I really hate the fact that the car ive rebuilt and painted is destroyed even though i loved the car. and yes as soon as i get paid off i will be looking for another one or a truck so we will see what happens

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can honestly say for a 2000 pound car going up against a huge 2002 taurus im impressed how tough it is cuz the taurus is even screwed up. although i still have the seat belt bruise to say i hit hard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts