Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT, 3.9L Magnum with a 5 speed manual. It's a great little truck, but it feels really sluggish from 3rd on up. I'm not trying to do any kind of really stupid boost with this thing, maybe 5-7psi. I run across a few questions:

1- will existing computer settings allow for this
2- centrifugal supercharger or turbo
3- will stock engine components and drive train handle this

If anyone can give some advice on the best route to go here, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Several people are running superchargers, and there are a handful of turbo engines that have been done. Check out the dakota/durango forums, I don't remember the exact website.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
Without an unlimited budget & replacement of practically everything, one word: NO
I must disagree... depending on that model years Dakota engine controls , it will be harder or simpler, but either way, quite possible

I think the centifugal supercharger would be a simpler than a turbo, ESPECIALLY if there is a kit available, altho it will certainly cost more ;

if you have (or had access to) metal fabrication facilities and talent then you could certainly make a one-off turbo kit for relatively cheap.. but if you had to pay a fabricator to do all the work it would cost a lot

a good shape 3.9 drivetrain should certainly be able to handle 5-7 psi of boost without failure as long as you respect the stock parts (dont be stupid and do neutral drops or bolt big slicks on it and try launching wheels up)

dakotas are pretty tough ; a guy in town has a 95 4cyl truck now running a 440/727 and low 13s on the stock "small" rear axle

·
Registered
443 Posts
do it my friend has a newer gmc sanoma with a rising rate regulator turbo charged and has had decent results. i plan on turbo charging my 4.0 jeep and a slant six car someday

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I have seen a 383 turbo charged dakota. We were in Charlotte for the wing car meet and the guy came out with his dak. It was a bad ass set up. Sounded awesome and he just rolled smoke out of his tires leaving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts