Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off the new head is just that a new cast 782 head from Clear Water il Florida. My old head is off my 88 Shelby.
What follows are comparison pictures .
Both heads

2012-04-17 17.01.10.jpg

Port size comp.

2012-04-16 18.16.39.jpg
2012-04-16 18.17.44.jpg

Its obvious that the ports are smaller . Was there a big differance in turbo 782 heads and 782 NA heads ?
can I port match a gasket to old head and use it to adjust ports on new head? Or should i just take it the my machine shop and leave it up to them?Or maybe Send head back If Clrear Water provides a turbo head. The latter being my choice.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is also a difference in numbers on cam .
Old cam L-16 7849 and I think 120

New cam L-3 7849 and 254

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey the car this head might go on is an 88 shellby Daytona .woud that have the right cam?

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new head has the number 1003 where the 782 should be .

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
The differences aren't because it's a turbo vs n/a head, it's because you have a high quality factory casting vs a chinese casted head.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup. China bought the head cast for the 2.2 heads. If I recall, they use the head on fork lifts?! Might have just been a rumor that went around 5 or 10 years ago. Head still looks pretty nice for a china head :)

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Well I think the new head looks good. I've ported heads for 25 years and I'd just take a grinder to the ports! Even an unexperienced person could open up the ports to at least the gasket and have good results. Just don't get carried away with the grinder. Most flow gains are in the bowl area anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought that same head off eBay when my head went. The casting is fine and I think the cast is from Mexico. All I say is becareful with the valve train and double check your valve train mine came with n/a components and I burnt 4 valves and messed up the valve guides. Other then that china /Mexico casting , who cares its new anything is better then the originals that are now 20-30 years old. I ported and polished mine and it works wonders.

Joey

·
Registered
557 Posts
make sure they gave you roller rockers if you put your roller cam back in! and like 2.2power said im sure the exhaust valves are for n/a engines

nice looking head tho

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I would like to see photos of the ports, as it is an all new casting. I would like to see what the bowls look like.

You can see horrible core shift on the intake ports with the "quarter" photos. They need a lot of porting, doubt it would matter if you are porting them. Even the chambers are different and you get them cut too during porting.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
You can see horrible core shift on the intake ports with the "quarter" photos.
Oh wow, I didn't look that close to notice how far off the intake port is. DAMN SCARY! I don't know that even with porting if you could get it to line up right. Gotta love chinese parts.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANKS For restoring my trust in my new head guys. A And yes it came with roller rockers all ready installed .

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
better make sure you port it so the ports match up. With the horrible core shift on the runners it's going to be like putting the intake on 1/4" to the right. Hopefully it can even be fixed with porting. I wouldn't put too much faith in it yet.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts