Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Omni TBI car. The body is absolutely cherry. I am planning on buying an 88 and up Daytona T2 and swapping it in. Can anyone please give me a list of problems i will encounter? Will all the mounts work? And what from the omni should i hold onto? I appreciate anyone taking the time to help. - Danny

·
Registered
999 Posts
Needed: Motor, wiring, tranny, turbo fuel pump, radiator & IC, computer, shifter if going from auto to manual, pedals, too (if AT-MT) vacuum solenoids? (not sure about those)

make:heim joint linkage if the car is manual & brackets for tranny, otherwise cable shifter would be easier

keep the whole car, especially motor mounts

By no means is this a complete list, but it should help you get started.

Read:

Donovan's Dodge Garage

-Josh

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I did my 87 Horizon a few years ago. I used the original trans that was in the car, because it was all I had. I used an 85/86 GLH-T engine harness and added the necessary wires for the T-II conversion. I used my stock Horizon mounts, but used new inserts. I used an 87 GLHS rad I/C assembly but a Daytonas can be made to work. I used an 87 CSX stage II computer and an 87 power module under the hood. It was actually a real easy swap. My 93 Shadow was a little more challenging.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I absolutely appreciate the help guys, Exactly how much fabrication am i in for? Oh yeah, Its an Auto TBI going to a Manual T2. Do i use the front subframe from the daytona?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I absolutely appreciate the help guys, Exactly how much fabrication am i in for? Oh yeah, Its an Auto TBI going to a Manual T2. Do i use the front subframe from the daytona?
Mine was already a 5 speed, so I just used it up until its clicking now. You will have to weld a bracket for the bobble strut to bolt to your K- frame. The Daytona one I believe is too wide to use. That should be the only "fabrication" needed. If you go with the GLH-T harness there will be a hole that needs to be cut into the firewall for the harness to go through, but thats simple with a hole saw. Supposedly you can use a later L body harness and modify it slightly to run the SMEC computer set up.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Do i use the front subframe from the daytona?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: The L-body is its own animal while g-body, like all the eek's,
is based on the K.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, thats very helpful. The project has taken an interesting turn and it appears i might be getting hold of a Turbo IV VNT Daytona. Does this complicate anything? (Besides obviously having to maintain the vnt turbo.)

·
Registered
999 Posts
As rare as the VNT cars are, please, for the sake of us all, keep it in one piece. Unless, of course, it's too far gone. But, it is yours and you can do with it what you wish, although I, like many others, would rather see the rare ones stay together.

·
Registered
999 Posts
To answer your question, the acquisition of a complete car simplifies the endeavor greatly.
Again, I hope you try to find a more common donor.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The VNT cars are a unique model. The short block is somewhat desireable due to its beefyness(if thats a word,lol). The VNT's are finicky from what some suggest as far as overboosting. You might want to use the drivetrain and swap the turbo out and sell it separately. They have a strong transmission to so thats a plus.

·
Registered
999 Posts
There is hardly any difference between a Turbo IV & a Turbo II besides the turbo & the computer. That's not the point. VNT cars are very rare.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There is hardly any difference between a Turbo IV & a Turbo II besides the turbo & the computer.
Don't believe I said otherwise.:confused:

That's not the point. VNT cars are very rare.
What is somewhat rare? 2000 units? Whats rare? 1000 units? Whats very rare? 500? Guess we'll see how valuable they are when the red one on ebay sells for 10k or more.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I didn't try to get anyone bent out of shape. I was just simply stating my opinions. I know if I got a VNT car, I'd keep it whole.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate your love of TD's sittn86. The VNT car is a car that is practically falling into my lap. I am all about engine swaps, i would never mod a t4 Daytona for the same reason i wouldn't mod a t2 daytona. The engine was found in the car. I have looked at the Super 60 setup, i have drooled over numerous T3 cars, I've seen hundreds of T2 swapped TD's, Hell i even wrote cosworth to see what the head on the Wraith Car costs. (12k FYI). I haven't ever seen a VNT Omni.

My original plan was a T2 swap with lots of HKS love. While this works, i am very curious about how well a modded T4 would do on the street not to mention i could always swap the turbo and computer and basically have a T2 swap.

Whatever the case, the engine won't be installed until i have head studs installed. So i am prepared for a rebuild. Is anyone selling a T2 5 speed 1988+ Daytona? Would anyone want to trade a mildly built t2 car for a T4 Daytona? I'm open to options aslong as the result is a sleeper street car with an emphasis on straight lines.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One last thought. My original motivation was to build a killer sport compact out of something domestic. Not that i am in anyway some type of 'murican badass trying to crap all over asian metal, I just wanted a hatch that wasn't a civic, and CERTAINLY one that wasn't a VW. (yes, i am familiar with the talbot cars.) I even played with the idea of swapping a 350 into a Chevette. (Until i read the budget badboys Sport Compact Car magazine in september of 05). "Run 11's for 3500" While still highly unrealistic to do that, it peaked my interest. I have a budget close to 3500 at my disposal, plus a cherry TBI auto Omni and a full set of Snap-on tools. Just trying to find out where to place my dough (obviously a donor car is a necessity.) So if anyone has any ideas, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read some of this self indulgent crap. =)

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
I haven't ever seen a VNT Omni.
Right.

Learn more about the VNT turbo itself and it will become apparent you prolly wont want one.

When you first look at a VNT, it seems kinda goofy. But the truthfully, its kinda neat.
It controls exhaust in a way similar to how a hydroelectric plant controls water flow across a turbine in a dam.

The reality of it is that the VNT turbo is limited by its design.

In reality, you'd be better off leaving the VNT car intact as a collectors item and possibly flipping it to finance your engine build-up.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There is hardly any difference between a Turbo IV & a Turbo II besides the turbo & the computer. That's not the point. VNT cars are very rare.
The VNT motor used balance shafts if I recall. The only 2.2 motor to ever use them, correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts