Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... can somebody help with this crazy issue?

I drive my Cruiser and when it hits between 40 and 50 mph I get a soft but high-pitched whistling wind noise that sounds like it is coming from my front drivers-side door/window. I thought maybe the door was sealed poorly or maybe the window.

It is driving me crazy...

A couple days ago I turned my side-mirror in towards the car and drove and the whistling went away!

Well no, I don't want to continue driving like this because I like to use my side mirror... so I rolled down the window, popped the mirror back in place, and put the window back up... the whistling starts up again.

How can I stop this insane whistling? :(

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Never heard of this problem before. ?:| My 2001 never whistled. My 2003 does, but that's the turbo whistling. :D

Let us know if you get the problem solved.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Dave, I always find it difficult to whistle after I eat crackers so you might try that....hehe just kiddin. ;)

Seriously though, if its an irritation to you I would take it into the dealer and have them look at it. Hopefully they can determine the problem. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the serious replies. My second oil change is coming up in ~ 800 more miles so I'll get it checked out then.

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Dave said:
Thanks for all the serious replies. My second oil change is coming up in ~ 800 more miles so I'll get it checked out then.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave, you may also want to check out http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ and search for similar problems or see if there is a TSB out for the problem you are having. Let us know what the dealer says. :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Dave said:

Thanks again,
Dave
I'm sorry to hear about the whistling problem. :( I haven't had any problems of that nature yet so I don't have any suggestions. However, my husband had a vehicle that did whistle because part of the side mirror housing was loose. He put a piece of electrical tape over it and the whistling went away.

Please let us know what you find out when you take it in. :)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Could it be weatherstripping that has come loose?

Haven't got a good idea here, my PT doesn't whistle unless I move the luggage rack all the way forward and then it's a rather low pitched sound.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Dave said:
Thanks for all the serious replies.
I like the smarta** ones myself. :}

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hmmm...
That's a new one for me...
My PT just seems to rumble when I punch it, thanx to those Scottsdale dual exhausts...
Now I'm curious as to what it is...???
The only terribly annoying sound we have encountered in our Cruiser was when the grandkids rolled down BOTH rear windows whne we cruising on a freeway... That sound was unbearable!
Has anyone else experienced this "draft" or whatever it is w/the rear windows down?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Pops, yes I think we've all had that one. It's even mentioned in the owners manual of my GT. I don't have it in front of me to quote what they call it. But, it's something Chrysler recognizes.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Yep, My 01 Cruiser Whistles too.
It whistles at speeds of 100 km/hr (62 m/hr) or more when it is really windy outside.
It's been doing that for over a year but it doesn't bother me that much.
Since I'm in Toronto, I barely attain those speeds on the side roads (only on Major Highways/Freeways), but my tunes are usually cranked to drown the whistling.
Mine is coming from the driver's side upper corner (windshield/door area), and cannot pin point it. It is not due to loose weatherstripping cause I checked all that.
I will continue to live with it since I don't want a dealership to take my Cruiser apart just to tell me that they can't find anything !!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've got the drivers' mirror whistle too. It only seemed to kick in when the seasons changed and things started getting cold, beginning at speeds of 45-60mph.

Once springtime hits and warmth returns to the snow-swept wastes of central Ohio I'll see if the whistle remains.

My mirrors do fold.

·
Registered
640 Posts
BlueFUNder whistles too, but only with the aerial up. I reckon it's cos she like's the radio and seeing as she often doesn't know the words, she whistles instead! :x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts