Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
spdracr said:
Pops, yes I think we've all had that one. It's even mentioned in the owners manual of my GT. I don't have it in front of me to quote what they call it. But, it's something Chrysler recognizes.
Don't know the exact term for it, but it's caused because you have 50+MPH air going into a closed box. The air has to escape somehow, so it goes out the back windows again. This is where the turbulence, noise and pressure comes from.... I had it too, so I just cracked the front windows open a bit, and problem solved! :) It's not a PT thing, it's any 4-door car with the back windows open, but not the front...

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
spdracr said:
Never heard of this problem before. ?:| My 2001 never whistled. My 2003 does, but that's the turbo whistling.
If my PT ever met you in the flesh, sweetie, it would definitely whistle! ;)

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Dave said:
Follow up: I had my drivers-side folding mirror warranty replaced and the whistling has stopped :)
Cool! I hear a whistle, but only during the Fall when they have harvested around here and the wind picks up. I know it is wind related, because it only does when I am driving south on I-57 and not when I am driving north. I am like Marc, though, I just crank the tunes. :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
spdracr said:
Pops, yes I think we've all had that one. It's even mentioned in the owners manual of my GT. I don't have it in front of me to quote what they call it. But, it's something Chrysler recognizes.
I think its called: "buffering" ;) due to the wind/air pressure build-up.

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
BamaDreamer1520 said:

I think its called: "buffering" ;) due to the wind/air pressure build-up.
Buffeting???

How loud is this? Can you hear it over top of the radio/CD/tape player at normal levels?

Check the window seals where the windows enter the channel on the door frames- are there any irregularities? Creases? Sticks? 8* Check the rear hatch as well.

Is it hard to CLOSE your doors when all windows are up (and sunroof closed)? Maybe the FLAP is closed (flaps OUT air pressure when the doors are closed, usually in the rear of the vehicle).

Antenna- try REMOVING the antenna and see if the noise goes away, or any antenna toppers :( that you might have.

Sean

21 - 26 of 26 Posts