Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a 2004 Neon SRT-4 after drooling for one for many years. As i am a parent and already had expensive hobbies i had to wait for a more feasible time. That having been said. I saved my money and began to shop for my SRT-4. I shopped all over this country for one that was not beaten to death. many look nice but have been ran into the ground. Many owners were unable to keep up the required upkeep for these demanding cars. That combined with the countless design flaws they already had equaled a terribly disappointing search for my dream car.
So then I find one. Drive three hours to look at it and drive it. looks great, drives great, new tires and such. I get it home and start going over it for the next few days. the more I, dig the worse it gets. Since purchase i have driven it a week but had to replace:
1) inter-cooler pipe (hot and cold0
2) inter-cooler (one on it was too small. not stock)
3) power steering pump and tank
4) radiator
5) radiator hose
6) thermostat
7) thermostat housing (upper and lower)
8) injectors
9) injector harness plugs ($35 [email protected]#&$%G each form mopar)
10) MAP sensor
11) intake manifold (old one was CRACKED)
12) manifold gasket (low heat transfer type)
13) ignition
14) plugs
15) plug wires
16) water temp sensor (included on thermo housing)
17) engine mounts 9old ones were snapped at the weak stock bolts.
18) engine mount bolts
19) RADIATOR SUPPORT (thats right, he even butchered that)
20) brakes
21) rotors
22) TPS
23) radiator cap (old one was bent)
24) air filter (not cold air intake yet)
25 and more..........

OK. SO her is my current issue. BEFORE I took it all apart to replace all this wrong doing. i only had one code from the ECU. That was P0443 (Evap canister Purge valve) blah, blah, blah. I bought that too. Add to list above.
NOW that I have replaced everything I am getting almost every single sensor code. The car runs and idles. but has no balls, maybe 2 lbs of boost, and if i give it any throttle at all it stalls but does not die. If I ease it up slow it runs ok. But if I let off of it as I am shifting to turn from a light, it dies. I love this car. It is my baby. I have had her completely a[art and in my hands. But I am stuck. WTF is causing this. PLEASE HELP ME????

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
check the grounds, you had alot undone(sorry to hear man) gotta be something that got left undone when you were doing the work.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
loose connection at the ECU?
yeah sounds like it may need grease? But yeah the computer is clearly pissed off at what is coming into it. clean and grease, go over the grounds, extra grounds or a grounding kit is a good idea at this point

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get this....... I crank it and give it some GAS. and the windshield wipers TURN On!!!!!!!!
New harness time i suppose. Keep in mind here folks. i never cut or spliced into any harnesses in the making of this car. I have the four replacement clips for the injectors. But have elected to wait before i open and use those expensive things till I know if my harness is shot or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the things the previous owner hid was the fact this car had been in a serious front end hit. It was clear on the carfax. But even more clear that it was actually in a wreck as i took her apart. The harnesses to the ECU are in pretty rough shape. I should just take this asshole to court. But i have invested so much time in money into her now. She is mine...... So what good really could come of that?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
the codes should lead to a diagnosis, these newer computers are pretty slick in that regard, write down the codes you have now then clear the computer and see what the new codes are and let us know and maybe we can point you to some simple diagnostics

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill get right on those for ya guys. Thanks for reading and any potential help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0443-EVAP PURGE SOLENOID CIRCUIT
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0517-BATTERY TEMPERATURE SENSOR HIGH
P0073-AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR HIGH
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
P0108-MAP SENSOR HIGH
P0123-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR #1 HIGH

THEY ALL SHOW HIGH. The MAP sensor is brand new, the evap canister solenoid is new as well.
I put die electric grease on the harnesses at the ECU. Now she will crank and die right away. No continuous idle at all. So I am actually getting worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
everything reading high is an indication to having a bad or disconnected ground! there is no ground circuit connected therefore the sensors are reading voltage potential(reference voltage)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After I find that the ECU is not grounded completely . She cranks and runs smoothly. But delays upon throttle. and dies when throttle is suddenly released. Even at low RPM. So I let it run for five minutes and then retrieved the codes again. Some the same, some are new.
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0517 Battery Temperature Sensor Circuit High (This sensor is missing)
P0073-AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR HIGH
P0243 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

I am now in the "2o minute wait for an ECU reset" process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. So i purchased a volt meter this morning. Time to start testing...........

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
One of the things the previous owner hid was the fact this car had been in a serious front end hit. It was clear on the carfax. But even more clear that it was actually in a wreck as i took her apart. The harnesses to the ECU are in pretty rough shape. I should just take this asshole to court.

Carfax need to be checked before the car is purchased. Better yet, take the car to the mechanic and have it checked out before handing over the money. It is $50 well spent, consider hundreds, even thousands can be spent at car repair. I hope you got the car at a heavily discounted cost.

All private used cars are sold as-is unless specified.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have documented lies and forgeries. And even though the laws don't protect you, that's what civil law is for.
And for the record, the car FAX and title were clean. Of course I ran it before purchase. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What it looked like when I bought it.

NOTE THE VERY TINY INTERCOOLER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What it is looking like now.

She may not look like much. But in person if you cold look down into her hood. She is a FAR, FAR cry from the depths she was in when I found her. I mean just about every damn thing had to go. I had her stripped to the block. I wish i would have taken more pics of the damage along the way. Man what a disgrace. The guy even claimed he was a mechanic.
Oh. And before anyone points out the fact that i have a neverlast battery and MSD ignition... I KNOW. Battery was in it when i bought it and has been the least of the concerns at this point. And the MSD was a lack of research on my part before i purchased it.
Now i do have the tranny mount and the bottom motor mount left to switch out. Hence why she is leaning a little. And I also have to replace that damn battery tray, or at least see if I can get it to set in the a little better. At this point in my garage the battery tray is not even secured so it looks a little funny.
I still have to replace the factory radiator hoses, the new power steering pump and tank, the AC lines, the ambient air temp sensor, the air intake charge sensor, the battery temp sensor, and then I have to figure out how that asshole got the CEL to not come on. I replaced the bulb. Nothing..... So I still have that to cross before i can pass emission testing in Albuquerque.

Sigh. If i could only be locked in a dark room with this guy for 5 minutes!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hood is a second hand hood from Arizona. Thats why it is a painted carbon fiber hood and has stickers in it. None of that has anything to do with this engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To all those who gave advice and pointed out the obvious to my electrical issues. I am happy to report that they are resolved via ground repairs and no longer an issue. the only codes she throws now are the ones for the missing sensors. Ordered and on their way.......-

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
glad to hear and good luck with your project, it looks good so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. project update. All codes are gone but one. The dreaded P0300.
She is running strong but idles like crap. A revving to 1200 or so and then back down to near stall. But it always catches itself and idles back up. On take off she does well with steady gas but is lacking response as this idle/missing problem is most notable between shifts and of course when parked. When at a steady speed you can feel the sporadic surge here and there. It sucks. I have yet to figure it out and I have put a lot of love into this thing. I am afraid of a possible detonation and ruining my girl. Any advice gentlemen? I have ruled out intake manifold leak so far. Replaced the already new ignition system.
But she is looking good and feeling strong. Once I figure this out she is going to be a machine to be proud of.

My buddy Adam and I have put many hours into this thing. Good times!
Ill post more updated pics of her at this point. And then some of the next steps. Before and after. I so wish I had more of the initial project.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts