·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd put this in this area so it gets archived properly:p

2.5" pipes... Check!
Cat... Removing!
Muffler... Crap
The muffler in my GLH has a hole in it. It has a Super Turbo muffler on it now and I've been thinking of replacing it with the same this one. Didn't see much room so maybe I should ask and know for sure, will an oval type design fit nicely in the stock location?

But looking for some suggestions...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ive always been interested in trying a Chevy Trailblazer muffler! The are the same style round muffler with a rather large inlet and outlet which is a turndown. The stock outlet on GLHs arent centered in the muffler and neither is the Trailblazers. My mom has one so Ill get some pics and measurements if I can. I think it would flow good without being too loud or losing too much backpressure.

Ive had a straight out the back 2.25'' with a 2.5'' bullet muffler and no cat and it is very loud! Im corking my GLH with a stock Omni muffler I bought on Ebay. Im gonna have the Hooker longtube go into a 2.5'' pipe back to the stock muffler then put a cutout for racing right before the rear axle!

·
Registered
282 Posts
flowmaster offset in center out fits good , note watchout if your track has limit it was pushing 96 dbs limit was 98dbs

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I actually had that same Dynomax on my Sundance I used to own. It had a gutted cat, 2.5'' piping back to that muffler. Sounded alright and wasnt way loud.

Instead of just sticking a peace of pipe where the cat was, use a downpipe from a turbo car! We did this on my buddys carbd SC. We used the 2.25'' DP off of a turbo car and it bolted right up to the stock exhaust manifold. In your case I would find a 2.5'' DP of course.

·
Registered
971 Posts
How 'bout this?...I don't know how much space there is under the rear of the GLH.....but, I've got a 90's Dakota/D150 muffler stuffed under my Shadow..:)...my entire exhaust tubing is 2.5"..stainless...I wanted a free flowing setup that also would be quiet...the inlet on the Dakota unit is 2 3/4" centered and the outlet is 2 1/2" offset. It's a 7x9 shell, 15" long, tucks up under the Shadow tightly but it fits. Along with a Walker *bullet* resonator upstream behind the cat this system IS nice and quiet. There is a deep tone to the exhaust but its pleasant to listen to.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
Hooker long tube, 2.5" collector - FTW !

that and a 2.5" "cherry bomb" mounted where cat was = good sound

(use stiff motor mounts &/or a better dogbone to restrict engine movement = cracks in primary tube #1 DAMHIK,IJK)

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hooker long tube, 2.5" collector - FTW !

that and a 2.5" "cherry bomb" mounted where cat was = good sound

(use stiff motor mounts &/or a better dogbone to restrict engine movement = cracks in primary tube #1 DAMHIK,IJK)
Try this:D

Mexican exhaust manifold, its basically a factory cast iron tubular header:nodding:

Dynomax super turbo muffler

No dogbone, 88 TBI/A670 combo, PB.com mounts are on the list, just need to prep the A568 before i buy them:p:thumb:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do like I did on old Matchbox....2.5 all the way back and then put a Warlock(?) muffler on the end. This is a turbo muffler that has a removable plud on it. When the plug is in place it acts like a regular, but quiet turbo muffler, but remove the plug and it becomes a straight throuh pipe, but still quieter than straight through. It takes under 1 minute to remove the plug that is held on with 3 wingnuts....or use an electric cut out further toward the motor.....I am cheap and went with the muffler...about $40 back then.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a photo of this header / manifold ?
I have to get the car up in the air some to get decent pics of it...

Do like I did on old Matchbox....2.5 all the way back and then put a Warlock(?) muffler on the end. This is a turbo muffler that has a removable plud on it. When the plug is in place it acts like a regular, but quiet turbo muffler, but remove the plug and it becomes a straight throuh pipe, but still quieter than straight through. It takes under 1 minute to remove the plug that is held on with 3 wingnuts....or use an electric cut out further toward the motor.....I am cheap and went with the muffler...about $40 back then.
The muffler has a wicked deep tone. I wouldn't replace:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts