Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an '84 Lebaron 2.2L T-1 ragtop w/107K. I know some will say...."it won't handle the torque of the T-1" but would it handle just daily driving with no hot-rodding with a N/A transmission? Just normal in town driving, you know stop and go stuff? Maybe an occasional less than WOT entry onto the Interstate? Definately no racing. It's a Grandpa sleeper! Would disconnecting the lock-out connector be correct? Just wondering because I have a N/A 3spd auto from an 86 car. I had a diff-pin come through the trans casing on Xmas Eve and haven't had a chance to replace the trans with all the snow and cold weather we've had this winter. I'd like to drive it this Spring while I get all the parts I need for a partial late 90's Neon auto tranny transplant.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It will work fine for you but it will be weaker. The dodge garage states that you will need to grab an '86 starter also since there was a change made to them. I don't have any experience with those years.
The lockup won't be an issue since your car shouldn't even have the connector for it. You could wire one up with a toggle switch for better fuel economy on the highway but I wouldn't recommend putting the boost to it while it's locked up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will work fine for you but it will be weaker. The dodge garage states that you will need to grab an '86 starter also since there was a change made to them. I don't have any experience with those years.
The lockup won't be an issue since your car shouldn't even have the connector for it. You could wire one up with a toggle switch for better fuel economy on the highway but I wouldn't recommend putting the boost to it while it's locked up.
I forgot about the starter issue! Is it any 86-up starter that will work?? I recently scrapped an 82 Lebaron ragtop with a good NA 3sp auto unfortunately that I could have used. 20/20 hindsight..........

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yes the starter's changed in '86.The change was in the hardware that attaches it to the trans. It's a lot easier to bolt up an '86 starter, compared to an '85 and earlier.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the consensus is if I use a N/A 3sp auto tranny not utilizing the lock-up and refrain from hammering the thing than it will be alright? I've only seen one factory T-1 auto in the local yards lately and literally dozens of under 100K N/A autos. There is an '85 Daytona 5sp there right now but would the pedals and everything needed work from the 85 Daytona into my '84 Lebaron if I was to go with a 5sp???? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts