Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a pristine 1990 4 door shadow from a seller near me and i have a question. It has the carbureted 2.2 non turbo and was wondering how much work it would be to change it to a turbo? Or if it would be worth it? i need the 4 door for my kids but still want a turbo 2.2 =) It has an automatic tranny.

·
Banned
580 Posts
Not carburated, it's a TBI (throttle body fuel Injected). Just buy it and enjoy driving it as a nice reliable daily driver. If you want a turbo, then buy a car already setup or some car for a toy that you don't need to count on to haul the kids. infact, it would even be a better idea to buy a van and turbo that instead.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Don't discount the turbo 4 dr. They are a blast and hella sleeper. If you are set on a turbo 4 dr. it is very possible. You right now have a 2.5 tbi/auto drivetrain, no carb LOL.
You will need a 90 computer and wiring harness from a shadow (definitely attainable). Include all turbo sensors. A 2.5 auto set up would drop in just fine. You will need both. The non-turbo trans are no good.
You will also need a turbo fuel pump.
Very simple swap with a parts car or start a parts wanted ad.
89-92 2.5t/auto drivetrains will work great.
Walboro 255 in the tank would be a fantastic pump to have
need a 90 shadow 2.5l/auto computer and wiring harness with all the sensors.
and just drop everything in.
I would suggest an autometer gauge.

·
Registered
286 Posts
See I'm doing it the hard way. I have a 1992 4 door shadow im turbo swapping from a 2.2 tbi to 1989 2.5 turbo. In using a SMEC with a 1989 wiring harness I custom soldered into my 1992 connectors (so it would actually work with my newer 1992 shadow) and using the stock fuel pump that came with the 2.2tbi since I confirmed with my dodge dealership that the turbo and non turbo fuel pumps are the same, just the FPR regulates the pressure to 55 psi instead of like 40 for the non turbo. Keeping stock fuel lines but at the engine bay.

Stock 1992 half shafts and turbo 2.2 A-413 tranny and torque converter with TE04H SS lines

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
not true at all. as far as I know, turbo's have their own specific pump. I would not suggest running a non-turbo pump on a turbo car. And if I am not mistaken the Tbi pumps out a whole 20 psi of pressure or around that area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
not true at all. as far as I know, turbo's have their own specific pump. I would not suggest running a non-turbo pump on a turbo car. And if I am not mistaken the Tbi pumps out a whole 20 psi of pressure or around that area.
There were 2 TBI set ups, high pressure and low pressure. The newer high pressure set ups use the same pump as a turbo. Check Donovan's Dodge Garage under the EFI section for years and pressures.

From DDG
1991-1995

Fuel injection pressure was increased to 36 psi so a single fuel pump could be used for TBI, Turbo and V6 application. Sometime in this timeframe the TBI housing base changed and will not fit on the earlier intake manifolds.

·
Banned
580 Posts
There were 2 TBI set ups, high pressure and low pressure. The newer high pressure set ups use the same pump as a turbo. Check Donovan's Dodge Garage under the EFI section for years and pressures.

From DDG
1991-1995

Fuel injection pressure was increased to 36 psi so a single fuel pump could be used for TBI, Turbo and V6 application. Sometime in this timeframe the TBI housing base changed and will not fit on the earlier intake manifolds.
This is absolutely true the newer TBI uses the same pump as the turbo.

You can always do a cross reference search at auto parts store's. Just pick a car, check the engine selection find the part number, change the engine, find the part number. if numbers are the same then your question is answered/

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
This is absolutely true the newer TBI uses the same pump as the turbo.

You can always do a cross reference search at auto parts store's. Just pick a car, check the engine selection find the part number, change the engine, find the part number. if numbers are the same then your question is answered/
You also have to remember that Chrysler reworked their parts catalogs many times, such is the case with injectors. There are many different injectors that flow the exact same lb/hr.

So just "checking" fuel pump catalog numbers at Autozone won't cut it. You will need to check with Chrysler, to see if the pumps that are now "replacements" are the same fuel flow ratings as the stockers. They could be now pushing out the same pumps for all cars, I know when I went in and checked prices for my 86 Turbo Z, they had the same pump listed for both the N/A models and the Turbo model, which defintely was not the case back in 86. So be cautious.

Only way to know what you have, with 100% certainty, is to pull the pump and check it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts