Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I thought this might be good information for people, maybe not. I am circle track racing a 2.2/2.5 and our class is moving to allowing headers, wow welcome to 2011. I was looking for a racing header like the old Hedman 1 3/4” primary 3” collector style rather than the small tube street header of Direct Connection / Hooker of 1 ½” and 2.5” collector.

So I went and contacted Hedman figured I might try to do a group buy or something, but wanted a rough idea on quantity and cost before proposing. Well here is the response I got…….

Thank You for your interest in Hedman Hedders. Good question it would be very unlikely because we mass produce parts to keep it cost efficient we haven't had the part available for a few years. Downfall is the fixture had been scrapped. Sorry. :tsktsk-tisk:

Guess when they stop making them, they really stopped making them and had no plans on going back. I guess that isn’t an option. Thought some people might like to know, maybe not, there are some of us NA guys out there still running / racing these.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Ya these parts arent really in demand anymore except for our little niche group we have. So I can understand phasing out parts since these cars are 20+ years old and only cater to a small market. It sucks that that has happened but thanks for the info. We just gotta live with what we have or innovate new stuff ourselves like most of us do these days

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OK I thought this might be good information for people, maybe not. I am circle track racing a 2.2/2.5 and our class is moving to allowing headers, wow welcome to 2011. I was looking for a racing header like the old Hedman 1 3/4” primary 3” collector style rather than the small tube street header of Direct Connection / Hooker of 1 ½” and 2.5” collector.

So I went and contacted Hedman figured I might try to do a group buy or something, but wanted a rough idea on quantity and cost before proposing. Well here is the response I got…….

Thank You for your interest in Hedman Hedders. Good question it would be very unlikely because we mass produce parts to keep it cost efficient we haven't had the part available for a few years. Downfall is the fixture had been scrapped. Sorry. :tsktsk-tisk:

Guess when they stop making them, they really stopped making them and had no plans on going back. I guess that isn’t an option. Thought some people might like to know, maybe not, there are some of us NA guys out there still running / racing these.
You could always make a header to suit your needs. One vendor has nice 1/2 inch flanges. You can get the tubes and collector you want through Summit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is what I will probably end up doing, making what Hedman essentialy used to make, I mean how hard can it be...... yeah right.........probably only gonna take 40 or so hours to make one.

Yeah and I agree it isn't unreasonable they discontinued it, can't be a large demand for them, it probably won't be long before the Hooker ones are gone too, then it will be another 20 years before someone starts making them again as performance restoration parts.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
the Holley street Dominator is still one of the very best 440 intakes out there and they stopped making it for years. Then started back up a couple years ago. Still today the only better intake is the new Victor. If and when demand returns so will the support. These are still great race cars even NA, even better in autocross. But today everyone seams to only want turbo power though.

·
Banned
580 Posts
I'm in the same boat finding tires. We ran Sumitomo HTR 200's for over 8 years. Sumitomo dumped that model tire in our 13" 60 series. I can't find any other tire companies making that size. There's a few leftovers laying around at various warehouses BFG use to make the tires for the legend series 205/60/13. Even they dropped this tire. I can find some really high end $150 tire. But we need to stay under $80 each. I really don't want to be forced to have to run a racing tire like Hoosier, American Short tracker, Goodyear, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
you could go 175/70R13 thats what i had to do for my turismo as the stock size is no longer available and websites only come up for my size as trailer tires available only

·
Banned
580 Posts
No, you're missing my statement. We are running circle track. We need as much tire on the track as possible with a low profile to reduce heat/sidewall flexing. For the past 15+ years we've been running 205/60/13 and found Sumitomo's are the best, however they discontinued all 13" 60 series tires.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everytime I need something, it is the thing you can't get anymore. I'm in the same boat with the BFG's. The Legends guys have switched to a new tire that is directional and I'm not allowed to used directionals. I can change the gears and use 195/60/14 but I haven't found anything(cheap) that sticks like those 13" Comp T/A's.So I keep scrounging.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What our track is heading to this year is the use of a racing tire even for the "stock" 4 cylinders, last year the rule was any 4 tires must of the same size with a treadwear rating greater than 260. So guys were going out and buying new tires that met exactly that. This year they went to a like $80 a piece Hoosier tire that is available in 13, 14 and 15 sizes, but limits obviously within those sizes.

The down side is now after talking to Hoosier not only do i have to buy a $80 race tire, but to perform at their best I need 14x8 5x100 rims....... anyone got any? If I can't find some, soon I'm going to make my own, can't afford 10 rims at $70 each (have 2 cars and spares).

Just gets crazier, I think in the long haul it equalizes but short term quite an investment.

·
Banned
580 Posts
The hoosier 790 racing tire SUCKS it's fast for 2 nights tops. We were buying a tire a night to be fast. Pretty hard to go racing to win $120 but having to spend just $80 on a tire, $20 pit entrance, $30 in race gas, $30 to tow to the track.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess we'll see, because even if it sucks I am sure it has more grip and is faster than any treadwear 260 street tire. And were were killing a RF tire every week or 2.

Money wise it doesn't help that 4 cylinders are treated horrible money wise and then all tracks have dropped race purses over the last couple yearsto boot.

·
Banned
580 Posts
We get amost a season on the RF. You really need to learn chassis setup and car control. I found when I worked the car to hard, i could feel the RF going away, so I learned how to drive the tire. after 20 laps, I'm hitting around 180° on the RF.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What our track is heading to this year is the use of a racing tire even for the "stock" 4 cylinders, last year the rule was any 4 tires must of the same size with a treadwear rating greater than 260. So guys were going out and buying new tires that met exactly that. This year they went to a like $80 a piece Hoosier tire that is available in 13, 14 and 15 sizes, but limits obviously within those sizes.

The down side is now after talking to Hoosier not only do i have to buy a $80 race tire, but to perform at their best I need 14x8 5x100 rims....... anyone got any? If I can't find some, soon I'm going to make my own, can't afford 10 rims at $70 each (have 2 cars and spares).

Just gets crazier, I think in the long haul it equalizes but short term quite an investment.
Go to...
Diamond Racing Wheels
They just sold me a pair of rims for $200 shipped that are 7 or 8 inches wide with a 5 inch back space (-25mm offset) so I can bolt on a set od 22x9.5x13 tires that have a width of 11.5 inches!!!

·
Banned
580 Posts
Diamond's are a great rim. Becareful on the center where it bolts to the hub. check the contact ring. We broke a lot of hubs because of this missmatch. I added a ¼" thick steel shim and the hub issue went away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah well 2 cars worth of rims and spares is going to be killer at $100 a pop + an $80 tire, so for 2 cars we're going to have over $1400 in tires and rims just to get the season started, have a feeling it's going to be a long expensive race season!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah well 2 cars worth of rims and spares is going to be killer at $100 a pop + an $80 tire, so for 2 cars we're going to have over $1400 in tires and rims just to get the season started, have a feeling it's going to be a long expensive race season!!
Do like me...win a butt load of championships and get yourself 9 good sponsors!:brows::party2::wave2::party1:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I can say is not gonna happen around here, consider yourself lucky, even the top divisions and top drivers around here struggle for money. We race asphalt in DIRT country and no one wants to put any money into it, so it is pretty much self sponsor around here.

·
Banned
580 Posts
We are in a very economically deprived area. The local school is on 65% free/reduced lunch.. meaning the families don't have enough income so the kids get help for food.

It's not being lucky, it's being good at what we do. Qualitywinning race car, great (clean) driving, salesmanship, and professionalism. We get $500 for each main sponsor and $250 for sub sponsors. (main hood, ¼'s, fenders) (sub, side skirts, windshield, back panel)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.