Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah well i been searching around for a while now and I finally found a turbo motor near me. (it was impossible to find one around NJ, called everywhere) But anyway the motor has 180,000 miles on it, the turbo isnt seized, it missing the alternator and the ac compressor ( but who needs that) and it doesnt have the distributor cap.
The engine is coming out of a 1986 Lazer. i was surprised to see that car in the junkyard. I just wanted to know if you guys thought it would be a good idea to get the engine. I know how much work is ganna need to be done and im willing to do it. I would rather rebuild a old engine to new then get a partly old engine and have to rebuild it later.
Ooo yeah i forgot to say that the guy wants 100 bucks for it. and i havent checked if i can even get it to turn. How would i check that anyways.
But yeah if you guys could just give me a few opinions it would help me to choose if i get it or not.

Thanks,
Hagenator:drinking:

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Just give the thing a good look over from what you can see. If you can pull the plugs and look down the holes real quick and see if you can see anything visibly popping out. What was wrong with the motor??? Check the oil and see if its got an antifreeze in the oil, etc. 100 bucks aint bad if its a good buildable motor.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
pull the spark plugs and turn the crank with a ratchet and socket... should spin freely.
if its a manny tranny - dont forget to put in neutral.
and you'll want all the electronics and wires and everything if you plan to put it in an n/a car...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have yet to ask the guy why the car is in the junkyard but i check the oil and there is no anti-freeze just really old oil.I checked most of the stuff that i could. Yeah and the other problem is someone already took the computer so im going to have to find another. Thats another problem. But ill get it.
Even though is not a common block(cus it a 86) will it drop right into my reliant?

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
It will Bolt in there....
The rest is up to you.:First TD:

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Other thoughts:

You *might* want to consider holding out for something better.
I just say this cause turboing the n/a car is gonna be a project...
You might want to look out for a better donor - like a running T-II car.
I think it was last fall there was a 89 T-II daytona went on ebay for like 200 or so. Needed a headgasket or something... I was too far away to get it, it was in Jersey.
And I know of at least one T-III spirit rt went for $200 at an auction by me... drove 65 miles with no prep at 28 mpg...
So...
There are deals out there... You just have to be looking in the right spot at the right time...
Hmmm, A T-III Reliant.... That would be unexpected.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd buy it. Just make sure it's ok first. If nothing else, you'll save it from being melted down. :) Your car is at least E.F.I., so half the work is done. If it's in an auto car, that's probably why it's in the boneyard. You could just get a performance computer. :thumb: The biggest hassle I see is putting in the LM. I'd use '87 electronics, since the MAP is underhood.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol yeah that would be great seeing a turbo III reliant. But im thinking i should get the engine to like sittn86 said. I mean it would give me a good learning experience lol. Ill have to see, i have to run to Harbor Freight tomorrow so i can get a engine stand ( best and cheapest tools at harbor freight).Thanks for all of your help guy.

-Hagenator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts