Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to see what goes where. I had the log intake but now have the one piece. Going from a Turbo 1 to a T2. Eventually I will have the intercooler as well. I just need to know where all the sensors and such go. Mine is a 1987 2.2 Thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hmmm..... what exactly do you mean going from TI to TII? The actual turbocharger that is on your car (87 "TI") is essentially the same as the "TII" turbo, both are garrett T3. There are some good websites with how to's on converting... one is thedodgegarage.com, and there are a couple others I can't recall right off, but someone will post them...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine was replaced with a T2 motor. But everything else stayed a T1. I got rid of the log intake and have a 1 piece ported intake now from TU. I just want to make sure I put sensors and such in the right place on the manifold. Also the AIS will need to go on when I get the intercooler setup done. As your looking at the front of the manifold there is a threaded hole that angles down ward.. Then to the right of that I have a boss there but no hole. Is that where the AIS would go when I have the intercooler project done? Then there is a hole on the back side on the right(drivers side) what would go there? Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tell me exactly what you want pics of I can get then for you,
I have an intake on my bench and a couple installed on my vans

He is converting from a draw through log intake to a blow through like the T2 or newer T1 style.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds right, sorry if I am not explaining this well. Yes the intake is a T2 intake. Just a pic or two that would show me where the sensors and such go on the intake. I would appreciate that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The hole in the front that is angled down is the vacuum port, the boss with no hole is where the intake temp sensor would go, you may have to drill and tap that if you have an intake temp sensor in your current electronics (I am pretty sure the old T1's did) the hole on the back behind the throttle body goes to the vacuum brake booster

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that will work. Thanks for the assistance. I should be able to use what I had on my log intake for the T1. Except of course the air temp sensor. They look the same but I think there is a difference in readings or something. This is called a air mass sensor as well isn't it? THanks again!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am pretty sure they are also called "air charge sensor"

The AIS controls the idle and is on the throttle body.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats right, Where would the air mass sensor go that I will need for the intercooler when I get that project started?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am not sure what you are reffering to, the intake temp sensor needs to go into the intake manifold (drill and tap the boss with no hole). Air mass sensor for the intercooler? I will try to help you but I don't know what you are reffering to. Post a pic and I can I dentify it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not have one yet as I need to get the T2 computer which will give me the air mass sensor wiring I believe. Sorry if I sound confused all this stuff is new to me. I'm more used to the older motors with out so much of this electrical and sensor stuff.

But wait I think the T1 had this sensor as well now that I think about it. Is this something that is esential for the inercooler or am I just screwed up thinkin I need another sensor to run a intercooler?:bash:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think you might be confused. There are no extra sensors to run an intercooler, but you will need a blow off valve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The blow off valve is required for the intercooler? I know that this releases back pressure form the turbo right? So you don't go in to a over boost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well it releases pressure when you let off the gas to prevent compressor surge, which is very bad for the bearings in the turbo. If you get compressor surge you will know it, it is fairly loud, does not sound good and will happen when you let off the gas. Overboost has nothing to do with a blow off valve. You will probably need a blow off valve now that you have converted to a blow through intake. You could find one in a stock air box at the junkyard and the stock hose that goes from the turbo to the throttle body has a smaller hose attached to it that runs to the stock blow off valve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What cars would I be looking for to get this stuff? Or would I be better off getting a after market one. I will be running 15-16 psi on the turbo.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Read: DDG- Conversion page from 85-87 Turbo I to Turbo II
if you haven't already.
I've also read that you'll need a new computer with the newer intake, because the old log manifold ran I belive 2 cylinders richer because they got more air with the log manifold. not sure how essential this would be. and also to be able to run the newer AIS on the throttle body with 4 wires instead of 2 the suck through has. I'd like to do the swap on my 86 laser also.
don't want to spend the money on a computer for just the manifold swap.
I'd rather do it when I get bigger injectors and add the intercooler and such.
and just deal with the AIS being inoperational until then. the car isn't a Daily Driver or anything just another one of my toys.
don't take my advice on this cause I'd hate to have you lean out and burn up your engine, I'll let the pro's step in and set me straight :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
The MASS, or MAF(mass air flow) you refere to is not used by Chrysler, at least not in the '80s and early '90s. It is an air flow sensor that basically detects air flow, not temp. Another similar type sensor is the HALL effects sensor. This jewel somehow uses the curvature of the earth to aid and detect flow(don't ask). Our cars have an air charge temp. sensor.

John O.
Crete, Ne.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply. I have wired in a air/fuel meter to the o2 sensor. I do plan on getting a different computer. I kind of jumped the gun gettng the one I have now. When TU gets there's going again I plan on getting one. I have been working on this setup for awhile now. One thing seems to lead to another. But in the end it will be worth it as long as I don't blow it up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The MASS, or MAF(mass air flow) you refere to is not used by Chrysler, at least not in the '80s and early '90s. It is an air flow sensor that basically detects air flow, not temp. Another similar type sensor is the HALL effects sensor. This jewel somehow uses the curvature of the earth to aid and detect flow(don't ask). Our cars have an air charge temp. sensor.

John O.
Crete, Ne.
No... the hall effect sensor does not detect flow. It is used to trigger the firing of injectors/spark plugs.

The turbo engines use a MAP sensor to detect how much pressure is in the intake manifold. It then pulls a value from a table of how long the pulsewidth for the injectors should be based on a given MAP pressure and scales that value for rpm.

Oh and that air fuel meter is barely going to give you a ballpark guess at how rich or lean the engine is. Please don't try and tune anything with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts