Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I scored a really nice digital instrument cluster from an '88 convertible K car Lebaron. Not a J body. This is the older style with the silver face. No tach, I think. Anyways, I cut off pigtails for the cluster, so I can splice it into my '85. The cluster matches my '85 dash, visually, it's going to be awesome in there.
Anyways, I need the pinout for the non digital dash on an '85 K car and the pinout for a K car with a digital cluster in '88. NAJ.... ;) I'm really kicking myself all the time for giving my '88 electrical FSM away with the Omni when I sold that car.
Old '85 cluster:

New '88 Cluster:

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mmm, noticed a burnt looking resistor through the back of the cluster. R66, it's a big one, and it's a charred remnant of it's former self. One of the transformers looks like it got very very hot, as well. And there's a trio of transistors near the bottom of the burnt resistor, the smaller of the 3 looks heat damaged. Not sure what caused the failure, but I don't think I'll be able to get this cluster working again. Anyone got a repair/service schematic for the circuit inside this digital cluster? Massive long shot, I imagine.
I see two scenarios for the failure of this.. Either one of the VFD displays failed, overloading everything, or, that transistor failed, getting stuck ON, when it was supposed to be toggling on/off rapidly, so it sent too much current out, cooking the safety resistor as well as the transistor the resistor was protecting. Seem like a plausible scenario? If that's the case, I need to replace the bad transistor and resistor (what's the value of a good R66?), and then I can attempt to power it up (still need the pinout) to see if the transformer/VFD is still good.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Electronic clusters that fit your car are a dime a dozen ( as the saying goes )
Clusters from the following will work in your dash.
Dodge 400-400es
Dodge 600-600es
Plymouth Caravelle and SE
Chrysler New Yorker 1983 up into the 90's ( like the Dynasty look)
Chrysler LeBaron till 87 ( k-car version )

If your short on clusters near to you I know wheres there's 4 clusters PM me if yours isn't good. I will look to see if I can find the pin outs for your vehicle I have them somewhere in the files.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
I can get you the wiring on Wednesday, won't be home today or tomorrow.

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Naj.
As for more clusters, yes, lots fit, but most don't have this silver face like this. I saw a dozen at the JY that had black faces (not digital). Not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks Naj.
As for more clusters, yes, lots fit, but most don't have this silver face like this. I saw a dozen at the JY that had black faces (not digital). Not what I'm looking for.

Oh they are digital dash's near to me.I think one may have the tachometer in it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 86 New Yorker cluster just like that. I had it install in my 85 Caravelle. But with age the VFD's are fading(tubes are gassing out). I went through a dozen clusters trying to get a better one.... no luck.

I finally rewired my dash for a 90/91 Spirit cluster with tach and use a ECU,BCM and trip computer that came from a 90 Lebaron.

I sure do not miss that old cluster with a idiot light!! (ex)wife burnt up my engine, though the RED engine light was a pretty display.... after that I swapped the whole 86 New Yorker harness into my 85 so I could use the digital cluster and EVA!

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No instrument cluster will save an engine or a car from a bad driver. I think I'm just going to gut this cluster and put some modern electronics and blue 7 segment LED displays in there. It'll look stock, but won't be. Should be pretty sweet when it's all done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Electronic clusters that fit your car are a dime a dozen ( as the saying goes )
Clusters from the following will work in your dash.
Dodge 400-400es
Dodge 600-600es
Plymouth Caravelle and SE
Chrysler New Yorker 1983 up into the 90's ( like the Dynasty look)
Chrysler LeBaron till 87 ( k-car version )

If your short on clusters near to you I know wheres there's 4 clusters PM me if yours isn't good. I will look to see if I can find the pin outs for your vehicle I have them somewhere in the files.
Necro time. I got an 88 lebaron town and country digital dash going nutz. You're saying the newer Dynasty cluster will work? is it plug in or repin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts