Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 85 Daytona turbo and need to rebuild or replace the engine. I want to make some more HP, like about 250 or so. what should I do to make the engine stay together.... Im pretty hard on equiptment so I need to build it strong

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
The 85 engine is really tough, just a stock rebuild with Mahle pistons are needed for 300 WHP. The head is a great flowing G casting as well. Convert the car to T2 and run an 87 Stage 5 FWD computer setup and a nice big ebay intercooler. The trans in your car sucks, you need the newer shifter, cables, trans and axles. Cheap junk yard finds but needed as the A525 will explode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what year and car could I find the trans? there are a few local yards but they are small so Ill have to know what im looking for, thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
A555 and A568 are the best heavy duty and are available on 2nd gen Daytonas, and possibly on other TD as well, not really sure which one though :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
The 85 engine is really tough, just a stock rebuild with Mahle pistons are needed for 300 WHP. The head is a great flowing G casting as well. Convert the car to T2 and run an 87 Stage 5 FWD computer setup and a nice big ebay intercooler. The trans in your car sucks, you need the newer shifter, cables, trans and axles. Cheap junk yard finds but needed as the A525 will explode.
What do you think of the 10 mm head bolts.I still have them in my 84,but only run 12psi-no IC 803s ported head ex&int mp computer.haven't had any trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
head stud kit should be relatively cheap and a nice addition dont you think? I mean if they make one that is!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
What do you think of the 10 mm head bolts.I still have them in my 84,but only run 12psi-no IC 803s ported head ex&int mp computer.haven't had any trouble.
drill them out and tap them, mopar used to sell the kit for 11mm bolts.

If you rebuild it keep your better rods and just swap the block with a late 85 to 87 block with the 11s in it already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts