Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first srt4 its a 05 all stock besides hood with 126,000 miles and i purchased it from the original owner. It starts up but runs on 2 cylinders so the first thing I did was a compression test and #1$#4 have little to zero psi. No knocks and enigine sounds good besides the missing part. Any ideas or anyone seen this with the srt4s?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
My brother bought one years ago and had the same problem.
It turned out to be bad coil packs.
I'll bet you've got two bad ones.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Zero compression on cyl #1 & #4 is not related to having bad coils. If it just wasn't firing spark on 1 & 4 it could be your coils. Things that can cause no compression are, Blown HG(unlikely), Bent valves, bad/broken pistons/rings. In any case you need to pull the head to see whats going on.

Also, you posted in the wrong section. Maybe the mods can move it so you get more help. Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
before pulling the head.. add compressed air to the dead cylinders with a leak down tester.. give a good wack with a hammer to each valve and try and reseat them..

if a car is sitting it can build up rust on the valve seat preventing compression and needs to be blown out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Srt-4's only have one coil pack and a bad coil wouldn't have anything to do with it having no compression in cylinders 1 and 4. I also check and all 4 plugs are firing and all injectors are pulsing. I'm hoping its just a headgasket or head problem, bottom end sounds good so ill hope for the best. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zero compression on cyl #1 & #4 is not related to having bad coils. If it just wasn't firing spark on 1 & 4 it could be your coils. Things that can cause no compression are, Blown HG(unlikely), Bent valves, bad/broken pistons/rings. In any case you need to pull the head to see whats going on.

Also, you posted in the wrong section. Maybe the mods can move it so you get more help. Good luck!
Ok yea I'm new to the forum but thanks for the info im I'm hoping just a top end problem but I'll just keep my fingers crossed till I remove the head. Oh and the oil defiantly has some gas in it. I know a broke ring would cause that but could just vlave damage or hg also cause that? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
before pulling the head.. add compressed air to the dead cylinders with a leak down tester.. give a good wack with a hammer to each valve and try and reseat them..

if a car is sitting it can build up rust on the valve seat preventing compression and needs to be blown out
The car did sit for a few years but this problem was the reason for it sitting. Is their anything else I could do because the cylinders won't hold compression?

·
Registered
1985 Laser XE
3 Posts
Broken / bent / stuck valve, bad seats, broken / melted pistons, broken rings. Borescope might reveal the issue, depending on which problem it is.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ok yea I'm new to the forum but thanks for the info im I'm hoping just a top end problem but I'll just keep my fingers crossed till I remove the head. Oh and the oil defiantly has some gas in it. I know a broke ring would cause that but could just vlave damage or hg also cause that? Thanks
If you're gonna keep the car, pull the head and go from there. If doing head/engine work is too much, get rid of it. Those would be my options. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts