Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just put my 85 shelby charger back together and it will not start and it's running code 54. From what i have read that means there is no signal from the ecu. Does any one know what to do about this?

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
Code 54 is the distributor pickup fuel sync signal. There are 2 connectors on the HEP, 1 is for a crank signal and the other is the fuel sync signal so the controller can locate #1 cylinder to sync the fuel injectors.
The sync signal connector is the gray one.

1985 Dodge Shelby Charger L4-135 2.2L SOHC Turbo
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures Driveability (DR) Tests DR-21A Fault Code 54-Distributor SYNC Pick-Up Circuit

DR-21A Fault Code 54-Distributor SYNC Pick-Up Circuit
Notes

With ignition switch in Off position, disconnect distributor sync pick-up electrical connector.
Place ignition switch in Run position, then connect negative lead of voltmeter to to terminal No. 3 and contact positive lead to terminal Nos. 1 and 2 of distributor sync pick-up electrical connector.
If voltmeter indicates 8 volts at both terminals, replace distributor sync pick-up.
CAUTION: Before replacing the pickup make sure the terminals in the harness connector are not spread apart so they cannot touch the sync pickup connector pins.

If voltmeter indicates no voltage at terminal No. 1, check wiring for an open circuit.
If voltmeter indicates no voltage at terminal No. 2 , proceed to Test 21 step B.

1985 Dodge Shelby Charger L4-135 2.2L SOHC Turbo
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures Driveability (DR) Tests DR-21B SYNC Pick-Up Circuit to Logic Module

DR-21B SYNC Pick-Up Circuit to Logic Module
Notes

Place ignition switch in Run position, then connect a voltmeter between terminal No. 17 of logic module blue electrical connector and ground.
If voltmeter indicates at least 8 volts, check wiring from terminal No. 17 to distributor sync pick-up for an open circuit.
If voltmeter indicates no voltage, replace logic module.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for such a detailed response, very much appreciated. Just for your information, which may aid you in continuing to help me. I have installed a stage 3 ecu from fwd performance for an '87, because I disposed of the log manifold to intercool my car more easily, I did rewire for the tps sensor. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the info my friends my shelby runs now i guess all it needed was a 86+ disributor. I got one out of the local junk yard, and the beast started right up and it runs good so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts