Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up my 89 daytona es turbo 5 speed. it was driving great til today. i was on the highway when i noticed the temp gauge acting up (rising up toward hot then dropping toward cold). then i was getting closer to home and the car started running crappy. loss of power and felt liek it was trying to stall out. i had to keep revving it to keep it from drying. i pulled off the exit and parked it, i popped the hood and noticed one of the spark plug wires was bouncing. i turned it off, pulled the wire and the spark plug was loose. long story short, i tightened it and drove home but it still ran rough. i noticed a rattling, knocking sound comming from the engine bay. i babied it home, popped the hood and pulled the wires indivisually. the 3rd and 4th wire made no hesitation in the engine when pulled. i ran down to autozone and picked up wires, plugs, cap, and rotor and installed them. the car still ran rough and the noise continued. i really started to get worried, fearing for the worse that theres an internal problem. sounds like the noise if comming from the head. then i popped the timing belt cover off and noticed alot of slack in the belt along with signs of damage to the belt. looks like it jumped a tooth or something. i know this is a non interferance engine so bent valves wouldnt be an issue right? but yet the noise is comming from the right side of the head when revving it. any help would be appreciated. im in the military and have to travel to NJ from CT on sunday for training so time is limited.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
With # 3 and #4 cylinders dead, I'd be doing a compression test. That and the temp issue could be related to a headgasket failure.

Also, pull the valve cover and check that all valvetrain components are good, maybe something in there is causing your noise and the two dead cylinders.

You may want to replace the timing belt, or at least re-tension it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts