Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips or tricks to breaking this thing loose? I have removed the 8 bolts, pried on it, tapped on it with a chisel. The thing will not budge.

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Any tips or tricks to breaking this thing loose? I have removed the 8 bolts, pried on it, tapped on it with a chisel. The thing will not budge.
Assuming you mean the differential retainer on the drivers side, you are going to have to loosen and break free the differential cover, it pinches the bearing retainer in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you mean the differential retainer on the drivers side, you are going to have to loosen and break free the differential cover, it pinches the bearing retainer in place.
I am replacing the axle seal on the drivers side. So you are telling me I need to remove the differential cover at the back of the trans to remove the retainer, correct? Just want to be clear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On my A413, I had to rotate the retainer slightly to remove it. The RTV sealant probably isn't making it any easier. There's a special tool to rotate the retainer on an A413 but I left 2 bolts partially in and used a large screwdriver to turn it.

Don't know if this applies to your A525 but maybe it'll help...

But yours is a MT & mine's an AT but so much trouble to replace a seal???

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There is no need to remove bearing retainer plate to replace seal. Just make sure you don't nick up OD surface of retainer plate when you remove seal, otherwise you could start another leak.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no need to remove bearing retainer plate to replace seal. Just make sure you don't nick up OD surface of retainer plate when you remove seal, otherwise you could start another leak.
OK, I removed the seal without removing the retainer. Tried to be very careful, is that the oil slinger that I damaged? If so, what can I do now?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just knock it flat again with a socket and a hammer

it's only a disc of metal meant to fling pil around
Thanks. I had just read about the "special tool" to use so you don't F something up, and when the seal came out that just flopped out on the ground. Murphy lost...this time, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
I'd have to look it up at this point but looking at your pics I'd presume it was installed with the edge flange facing outwards
,,because , looking at the dent you put in it with the punch or chisel .. it must have been that way as you were taking it apart

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have to look it up at this point but looking at your pics I'd presume it was installed with the edge flange facing outwards
,,because , looking at the dent you put in it with the punch or chisel .. it must have been that way as you were taking it apart
Looking at it, I cannot be sure if I dented it or not. I used a seal remover tool and was careful to catch just the lip of the seal. I looked at the diagram, still can't tell for sure which way it goes.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
It would make sense that the slinger would go to the inside of the seal, as it wouldn't do a whole lot of "slinging" on the outside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sorry late back to the party, didn't know you were removing the seal only, looks like you have it under control though
Just for future reference, the oil slinger can only go one way. There is a little nipple on the slinger, it has to slip in the oil feed hole on the retainer, then it will slide back and you finish bottoming it with the new seal.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just for future reference, the oil slinger can only go one way. There is a little nipple on the slinger, it has to slip in the oil feed hole on the retainer, then it will slide back and you finish bottoming it with the new seal.
Glad you figured it out! :smile2:

Good job! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
if you took any of the seal retainer bolts out be sure to clean any silicone from the holes before you put any more silicone to it

same retainer in my 525 - I messed up and left some in the bottom most bolt hole

the silicone blew out a quarter sized chunk inside the diff case behind the hole

luckily I heard it pop so I removed the chunk..and had a super convenient drain hole whenever I pulled that 1 lowest bolt...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you took any of the seal retainer bolts out be sure to clean any silicone from the holes before you put any more silicone to it

same retainer in my 525 - I messed up and left some in the bottom most bolt hole

the silicone blew out a quarter sized chunk inside the diff case behind the hole

luckily I heard it pop so I removed the chunk..and had a super convenient drain hole whenever I pulled that 1 lowest bolt...
Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts