Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Car is a 1987 Shadow ES. Only mods are MBC, and poly mounts.

This is my Daily driver.

Car had a knock that has been "fixed with bearings" Still knocks above 3k.

Drove the car to a friends, parked. Got ready to leave and started the car, started fine. Shut off car as friend was taking a long time. When to start car, nothing. Again, Nothing. Let it sit to see if it was a hot start problem, nothing. Listened for fuel pump and it is not priming or making any noise? did not check for spark as it is raining.

Where do i start?

O, BTW car was parked on a hill with a very steep grade, facing downward. Don't think that matters but wanted to cover all bases.

Thank you in advance.

D

·
0 Posts
i would say its the fuel pump but i have noticed on my car after turning the key 3-4 times half way like to check for codes i dont her my fuel pump prime either but it will start are you low on gas mabey from the incline pump isnt getting any fuel to the line

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is on a flat surface, half tank, have tried to start two days in a row, but have not had time to work on it. Car was on the hill when it first wouldn't start. That is the only time it was on the hill.

I am not mechanically stupid, I relize it has to be in the wiring, or the pump itself, I do know the ASD will do this, but do not know where it is located. Also, to jump the pump temperarally, what is required?

I need to get this home as it is at a friends parked illegally and do not have the funds to tow it as this car is already draining my bank account.

D

·
0 Posts
well i have no idea i dont know much about cars just a little to get me bye. right now my car has a fuel problem that i cant figure out, i was just trying to help ya out. it just sounded to me like the fuel pump is fried and i noticed no one else responded so i was just tryin to help you out sorry that i cant help further but hopefully someone will. you can try this quick fix and repair site for dodge and chrysler cars allpar.com/fix

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Did you pull codes?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Also if you put a jumper wire from th pos side of the coil to the pos side of battery it should turn the pump on.

D

·
0 Posts
no codes it has a strong smell of gas but i checked all the hoses and they look fine and dont see anything leakin and it was smokin a little behind the manifold and it smelled like gas too

D

·
0 Posts
sorry if your not talkin to me but a response came up in my email sayin you sent a question im new to this site

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
sorry if your not talkin to me but a response came up in my email sayin you sent a question im new to this site
LOL
Check your o-rings at the fuel rail and injectors:thumb:

D

·
0 Posts
well heres the thing i ran it the other day and it was fine no smoke no smell

D

·
0 Posts
and when i smelled it smelled like it was by the fuel lines from firewall to head and pressure regulator

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys!

crazymadbastard: Which relay is the asd. 87' TI Shadow w/ map on lm. I know its one of the two on the driver side strut tower correct?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Thanks for the help guys!

crazymadbastard: Which relay is the asd. 87' TI Shadow w/ map on lm. I know its one of the two on the driver side strut tower correct?

Pretty sure you are right, the other one is for the rad fan so follow the one to the coil and that is the one, if it leads to the fan... I am sure some one else will chime in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*fixed* it today.

Swapped out HEP....Nothing

Swapped each of the relays on driver side with used ones form Lancer ES...nothing

Tryed known good TBI ones...nothing

Jumped the coil... nothing

Checked spark with dist side of coil wire to a ground...Had spark

PM from lancer es...Nothing

LM from 86' lancer ES..It runs, below 3k. And Boosts like a banshee. grainger set at 10psi. Used to never evn come on as i kept it below 3k due to the slight knock. Now it hits 5-6 by 2200 and full at about 2500 and pulls like crazy.

I was only using this LM as a limp home kinda thing, but it seems to be fine othert then it is a on board map and mine is under hood. It runs with both conected and no codes. with out the onboard connected it falls on its face like overboost at 3200k With bothi t just cuts out at about 3k, not harsh just wont rev past, unless it is a quick free rev.. Not an issue as i wont go above this right now anyways. It does seem to be running lean though. But this is from a narrow band AF guage.

Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts