Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, well..I finally got my laser back after a year of waiting. So it's time to forge a plan and get started this summer. She's out of inspection, registration, and insurance at this point. Meaning, it's time to start working.

She's an '86 Laser turbo. I'm looking to break 250hp by the end of summer, for as cheaply as possible! She runs, but I want to rebuild the engine, to learn. But I also want to make her run better and faster than before.

The tentative plan was to rebuild the engine to t2 specs and increase the psi from there. However, I'm not sure where to begin. I don't know what it is I need.

So if anyone could help me with a parts list, and approximate price of parts, I'd really appreciate any help.

Also, what should I look into doing while rebuilding the engine. Cleaning, machining, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
250 WHP is a good goal. First you should specify is this going to be a drag car only or you want too keep it your daily driver. #1 for you is exhaust. So a 3" exhaust system will help you pick up the most bang for the buck. Next an intercooler and larger turbo. You can go t2 turbo and intercooler, but it would probably be easier to reach your goals with a S60 turbo and a custom TU cal. Then up the boost to around 20 psi and you should be getting close. Larger injectors willl be needed and probably a larger fuel pump. I guess it depends what you want to do.

·
Registered
235 Posts
depends how serious you are about it. I have an 86, and I went the long way around. got a t2 block out of a later daytona and built up around it. if you're serious about 250whp & want it reliable, that's the way to go. if you will only dip into the throttle some of the time and want to have it there for you, you can build up around your block. depends how much of a rebuild you'd give it. the bottom end on a t2 spec block will be a lot more tolerant of what most of us would put it through. the other thing - your trans. is it stick? 86 models, the 5-speed a525 trans, which would be hard pressed to constantly withstand much above 175hp from the reading I've done. so cheap would be a matter of knowing how hard you can beat on the parts you'll be using (without having to replace them!). beyond that, everyone will generally tell you to use:
t2 garret turbo, or convert your compressor outlet
t2 intake (including TB and sensors) & exhaust manifolds (dump the log)
t2 fuel injectors
t2 air box & hoses
intercooler & rad
GLHS logic module (or MP stage II for same)
3- or 4-wire O2 sensor
fabricated wire harness for AIS & TPS to logic module
anything bigger than stock exhaust

that should get you started, there are how-to posts all over the board, just search for what you need starting with that list. just remember when you start modding what you define as "cheap" horsepower. good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts