Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....On my 84 Turismo (carbed 2.2 non feedback) the air filter box was gettin oil in it so I tryed 2 new pcv valves! The damn thing did the same thing and wrecked yet another filter...I took the pcv out of the wifes 94 shadow 2.2 and low and behold it works the correct way drawing air into the module instead of pumping oil out.to boot it idles ten times better aswell.......anyone know of why this may be? I run Mobil 1 oil synthetic ,and have the car timed at 12 deg's.......the car has 40.000 on her.please someone help me figure this out thank you.......Robb

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
on that engine do you have the stock valve cover with the baffle box on the passenger side? if so I'd bet that is your problem, probably missing the baffle. BEST thing to do is remove that valve cover and use a TBI valve cover with cam cover baffle.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill give that a try.I wasn't sure all would match up.yes it is the box that attaches to the valve cover......thanks for the response!!!!!! p.s .....any year that you might think I should use for the TBI cover?

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
any year is fine. just don't use the turbo cover, it won't clear the throttle cable bracket. chances are your baffle box is missing the insert or it fell out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a valve cover and inside curtain off a TBI car on the Turismo........now it still has blow by into the air filter. :bang head ....this sucks, See there is no visible smoke out the exaust or any smell......a friend said it may be a stuck intake valve......I think it is a comprssion ring........this is freaking me out......also does anyone know if synthetic is good to use for this or should I try the CD2 with alemite?,,Thanks all! Robb

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
well, you need new rings. no if's ands or buts about it. blow by is a direct relationship to rings. stuck open valve does NOT cause oil to be pushed into the air cleaner. sounds like time for a cylinder leak-down test to pinpoint which cylinder (compression test may or may not show accurately enough)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the response!.....The cylinder comp is lower in number 1 buy 50 compared to the others! so I guess thats the issue.....compression rings right? also can this be done without removing the head or the engine? and why not do all the rings in all four cylinders and the bearings aswell? :bang head

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
you must be kidding.... remove the rings without removing the head... how in the world would you do that?

a 50psi variation is HUGE. I'm surprised the car is even drivable. or are you the kinda guy in the commercial where the wife comments on the vehicles noise so the guy just turns up the radio.

when replacing rings, you MUST deglaze the cylinder walls. use a glaze breaker and lots of light lubrication (WD-40 works well for this). you can do the job in chassis but it's pretty difficult to properly clean the engine. sounds like you should either correctly rebuild your engine or get a replacement. However if your a back yard hack type grease monkey, just yank out the bad piston, toss on a good used set of rings, throw it back together and hope it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts