Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am building a new motor for my 87 shelby z i have a common block turboII rods 30 over forged pistons arp studs and bolts for everything in the engine a stock head that came with my 2.2 engine i have a good idea what to do what the bottom and top end i am looking fo any word of wizdom on ecu, turbo setup like which one to buy, which injectors to run, what cam, that kind of stuff this is my first turbo build

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
sounds like you're on your way to a good setup. I dropped a 2.5 into my 87 ShelbyZ years ago and LOVE it. A custom ECU is a must. Cindy at FWDP, or Shel-Game here can help with cals.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
i am building a new motor for my 87 shelby z
SNIP
any word of wizdom on ecu, turbo setup like which one to buy, which injectors to run, what cam, that kind of stuff this is my first turbo build
this TOTALLY depends on your goals for the engine build-up, considering:

1. desired levels of Hp/Tq
2. cost
3. durability

first you need to define those goals ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info i don't mind spending money for a good setup i would like to get over 300 whp if i can the head i was going to use the 782 is junk so now i am looking for a g head i don't know what cam to run and oh ya i stumble on a s70 turbo with a .63 housing for 375.00 so i bought it so i guess i am down to cam and injectors thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am looking to run like 25 to 30psi i don't need to go biger then +40 injectors any idea which cam to run and where is the best place to have the ecu programed at oh one more thing any one have any idea where i can get a three inc swing valve at

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and as far as the cam goes looking for good low to mid range power not looking to scream the piss out of it this is going to be a street toy thanks

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Skip the TU piece and get the ATP unit.

This thing flows like no other. We jut put it on RockSlingers van. His van has a 2 piece intake, Water/air IC, ported exhaust manny, T2 turbo. Then the ATP Internal WG setup with 3" back with a straight through muffler. The ATP piece maxes the flow the turbine and WG hole can push. We now have to remove the turbo and port the WG hole to match the ATP puck. I've ran the TU 3" SV, and the 2.5" Turbonetics that was/is ported and NEITHER flow as much as this thing.

We're tuning it tomorrow. probably going to run around 20psi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what turbo is that i got a s70 and now i heard some bad thing about them i am going to try it anyway

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Let us know about the ATP wastegate (where do you get it and how much)? How much for the downpipe and where do you get it? Also, where is the flex in the system? With the regular swingvalve you have movement at the swingvalve with the spring bolts and flange gasket. The ATP setup above looks like a solid mount, is there some flex pipe you are using further along the line?

·
Registered
328 Posts
you absolutly need a custom tuned LM believe me, I put a 2.5 in my 87 shelbyz and broke a piston at 13 psi on the stock 2.2 tune,

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Let us know about the ATP wastegate (where do you get it and how much)? How much for the downpipe and where do you get it? Also, where is the flex in the system? With the regular swingvalve you have movement at the swingvalve with the spring bolts and flange gasket. The ATP setup above looks like a solid mount, is there some flex pipe you are using further along the line?
Right now we're having some issues with the tune. It idles and drives fine but the scaling is off. So I'm trying to figure out why before I tune some more. We did a WOT run from 1500-6grand yesterday, I didn't catch how high the boost went but it was over 14.7 and was a lean mid 13's a/f ratio the whole way up.

The downpipe, and full exhasut was around $500 and is fully custom done by a local shop. The pictured one isn't the one on Rock Slingers van. He left the lower bracket on his PS pump so his radius is tighter to clear. The flex is just after the pipe goes horizontal to the ground. I'll get some pics up later.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ATP Turbo

Swingvalve For Larger 5 Bolt Chrysler Style : atpturbo.com

You will have to make a custom downpipe, with 02 bung and a piece of flex pipe.
I'm installing a Holset and the exhaust swingvalve is the same as the ATP one.
Pic is the start of my downpipe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Right now we're having some issues with the tune. It idles and drives fine but the scaling is off. So I'm trying to figure out why before I tune some more. We did a WOT run from 1500-6grand yesterday, I didn't catch how high the boost went but it was over 14.7 and was a lean mid 13's a/f ratio the whole way up.

The downpipe, and full exhasut was around $500 and is fully custom done by a local shop. The pictured one isn't the one on Rock Slingers van. He left the lower bracket on his PS pump so his radius is tighter to clear. The flex is just after the pipe goes horizontal to the ground. I'll get some pics up later.
Did you get the tune figured out. I'm thinking about the ATP swingvalve and running some 3" mandrel pipe, but not sure on the radius. If you could post some pics of your downpipe that would help out a bunch.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
optimum radius is pictured on the previous page. Ours ended up being a bit tighter because the exhaust guy was too lazy to remove the PS bracket to make the bend larger.

We're close with the tune. still have the FFV's scaled for 52lb'ers in the cal though for some reason. But it's working.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Where did you put the o2 sensor (how far down the pipe from the swingvalve). So, what kind of radius 3" pipe am I looking for? Does a standard 180 degree mandrel bent 3" pipe have the radius I need. Then I can cut it up and create a downpipe with a flex joint to meet my 3" cutout before my catalytic convertor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts