Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about painting the front end of my car with some sort of grpahics. I like the flames, but would prefer a more subdued design and color scheme.
I have a blue cruiser and am looking for suggestions. I like this idea

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I say go for it. :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You could go with ghost flames, or use a blue that is a shade or two lighter or darker than your car. That would make it very subtle, but still very noticible....

Are you looking for vinyl for the graphics, or are you looking to go to a painter? That will make a big difference in what you are able to go with....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree with him ^. You really need to narrow down the field your looking at. Right now there is about 10 diffrent type of flames out there from ghost to tribal. So you need to explan a tiny bit more what your wanting. Do you want a faid. Do you want a pearl effect. What I would do if I was you. I would look all over the net for ideas. Go to www.sportruck.com for some ideas then just post a pic here of what you want and we will do our best to help you with ideas.

Also go to the paint store buy a paint book they useally run about 10 bucks and then its yours. Then you can take it outside and look threw the book in the sun and compare it to the car. Good luck.

-Cory

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you use an existing colour you can always get touch up for it. Maybe Electric Blue?

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
GoldenRod said:
Are you looking for vinyl for the graphics, or are you looking to go to a painter?
I think you said you're going to have them painted, which is the way to go if you can pay the freight. You should first find the custom painter you want to paint the flames on, give them an idea of what you want, and let them come up with suggestions. That's likely your best route for a truly unique job.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's my EeyoreCruzer . :x :x
(Sorry, about the blurriness of the pic)

To give you a better idea of the color of the flames, the flames are what I like to call "Windex Blue" or "Blinding Aqua Blue" because they're pretty bright. :} :D

Dottie

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If you are going to paint it go with something no else has. I would say stay away from the flames, a lot of Cruisers have flames. When I got mine painted I went with a whole different idea. You want something people are going to remember :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
JOEM said:
Originally posted by GoldenRod
Are you looking for vinyl for the graphics, or are you looking to go to a painter?

I think you said you're going to have them painted, which is the way to go if you can pay the freight. You should first find the custom painter you want to paint the flames on, give them an idea of what you want, and let them come up with suggestions. That's likely your best route for a truly unique job.
it would help if I read the whole post before I commented... :}

I really like some of the paint jobs where it looks like the underlying sheetmetal is being exposed, either by claw tears, flames, or wind.... takes a lot of talent to do that, though, which means a lot of $$$....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinkin less flames and more of a geometric design.
painted preferrably. I can't find vinyl how i wnt it. Printed out some side views of pt and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Seriously there is no original now. There has been everything from a Carton from one side of the car to the other, to a paint scheme like 363 which was extreamly popular back in the mid 90's. So get the idea of being original out of your mind and go with something YOU like, because if you want to be original then your going to end up killing your self trying to find something. The last original thing I seen was a guy who painted his red Silverado with a realistic flame burning off the paint. So there is never going to be something original.

If you want something one off that ppl can replicat but not duplicate then I would seriously suggest Air Brush work of your design.

-Cory

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to a custom restoration shop to have my exhaust checked. After, I asked the owner about anyone he knows who does custom work. He referred me to a guy who does pinstriping, airbrush and all sorts of custom paint. I spoke to the guy and he seemed to have a lot of ideas that he could sculpt to my budget. He said the process is a package that includes design, color palatte selection, masking, sanding...the whole nin yards. depending on what i want to do, price could range from 500 to 9000 dollars (ah...no). I figured I could feasibly budget about 1500.
Comments?
He has done several cruisers and a lot of other cars.
Anyone know a Tom O'Connor? He works out of Warren, RI.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh, the wife is a GO for the paint. :)
Trying to keep her involved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts