Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Need a new rack for my 87 New Yorker. Now here's the complication. I'm dropping in an 89 kmember. Is there an application for an 89-90 cars that will still allow me to have the same turning radius?? Also is there a brand to stay away from. I want a high quality rack. I don't want something I'm going to have to replace in a couple years.
Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi there .....Do you know if your '87 rack was a Saginaw or a TRW rack? There were differences in the two models...The Saginaw unit was found in more of the lower scale models than the TRW piece up to '88, but both the Sag & the TRW could be had in the NY. 89 thru 93 the only rack offered was the TRW which was found not just in the NY but as well the Acclaim, Spirit, Dynasty(obviously) and the Imperial. Reman.....take your pick Cardone, Fenco , Atsco. I've dealt with Fenco, they've been around for many years....seeing as I am in Toronto.....their main rebuild plant is not far from the shop that I used to be connected with (they were our major supplier for steering boxes as well as clutches (heavy vehicle application). Cardone is big in the States, no nothing about Atsco. Ask your aftermarket dealer (pick his brain).....how many returns for warranty have they had on a given brand name.

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know which rack I have. How do I tell? The car is an Ebody New Yorker, not the larger Cbody. It is leaking where the shaft comes out to go to the steering wheel. It does not have a rubber cap like the other rack I have lying around although I don't think it'd keep pressurized fluid from leaking. Is this shaft the worm gear shaft?

thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi again.....hmmmmm.....not being there to see your rack.....try this....the Sag rack can be identified by where the pressure line fittings are located on the rack cylinder. Viewing the rack from the front as it would lay in the car with the worm drive vertical, one of the two pressure line fittings is just offcenter of the rack body. It's placed near vertical (in the 11 o'clock position as viewed from the passenger side or at 1 o'clock from the drivers side). The TRW racks fittings on the rack body (not the worm housing) should be in the 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position depending on which side of the car you're standing at. (Or if you will....90degrees off vertical) Hope this helps you....to the best of my knowledge...all of the power assist racks are 2.5 turns stop to stop with the exception of the short ratio rack found in the Shelby Lancers which is just slightly over 2 turns.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Dont buy a rack from autozone, I had one and it lasted 2000 miles before it started leaking worse than the one I took out.

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took some pics cause i can't figure it out. 1st 2 pics are of the 87 rack, 2nd 2 are of the 90 rack. From 55's description i think the 87 rack is a Saginaw. But then the 90 rack looks identical and 55 says you could only get a TRW rack from 89 up. So I'm confused.

steering racks

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi there Jay.......all of those pics appear to be TRW racks.......my 92 Shadow also has a TRW rack in it ...you can identify the TRW rack by the location of the line pressure fitting on the rack cylinder at the centre of the housing .....its at the 12 o'clock position (vertical) .. the line pressure fittings on the SAG racks are 90 degrees off vertical. I have to apologize to you for the mistake on identifying the racks in my prior posting.....thumbing thru a catalogue I have access to corrects me.. :)

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 55. Seems the worm gear seal is the same for both racks which is what is leaking on my 87 rack. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna try replacing it or get a new rack. But the info you guys have given on the racks is very very helpful. Thanks.

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I ended up getting a new rack. The "TRW" rack they brought out had saginaw style fittings. And so did the saginaw rack they had. So I ended up just getting it. It works fine. But obviously at NAPA you get the same housing/rack no matter what you ask for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts