Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that i have almost 1300 miles on my new build, im going to need some more traction once i turn the boost up.

My current 225/60/15 BFG R-T/A tires arnt cutting it at only 18 psi.. if the road isnt damn near perfectly smooth, the tires will hop and squeal all the way to 70mph and makes it hell to drive / keep on the road.

first and second gear have zero hope of keeping traction at wot, period

so, i need some help on what tires i can get that wont break the bank and give me the traction i need. i also dont want tires that will have to be replaced every couple thousand miles cuz they are to soft.

i just need 2 for the front. the rears are brand new and just for rolling so im keeping those.

thanks in advance

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
So you want something sticker than an R compound but you don't want it to wear out in a couple thousand miles? Ok.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goodyear eagle g1 gs d3 are the best street tires. Otherwise slicks and hope to god it doesnt rain
i never drive it in winter or the rain so thats not an issue.

only time i gets driven in rain is if i just happen to get showered on coming back from a car show or somthing, but thats rare

So you want something sticker than an R compound but you don't want it to wear out in a couple thousand miles? Ok.
the compound isnt that sticky imo, i got about 10k miles on my current set and still has about 20% life left.

i might as well run them down to slicks and see how i do lol

if they last 3-4k miles ill be fine with that. i just dont want the type of tires i had on my charger that had to be replaced every 1-2k miles lol

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
lol, no shit you have zero traction with them. With just the R in your description I thought you had these

and were complaining about traction... I was thinking "well there's not much better that's going to help"

You're going to have to change sizes. And there's hardly anything out there in a 15" wheel these days.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, no shit you have zero traction with them. With just the R in your description I thought you had these

and were complaining about traction... I was thinking "well there's not much better that's going to help"

You're going to have to change sizes. And there's hardly anything out there in a 15" wheel these days.
those g-forces is what i had on the charger lol.. cept the ones on the charger were huge ..

ya those have super fast wear on them.. gotta remember i plan on going to sdac, i dont wanna have to change tires when i get there and when i get back home lol

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
yea R1's are a track only tire. But like I said you're going to have to change wheel sizes. There's NOTHING good out there for a 15" wheel unless it's a full competition tire. All the H/Z/V rated rubber in 15" sizes has been dropped because all new cars come with 17" rubber at least now days. A freakin Chevy Aveo has a 15" rim. No one is going to make HP rubber for an Aveo.

You'll need to look at at least a 16" rim if not a 17. Then I'd look at the BFG G-force Sport Comp-2's that just came out. Still very affordable, but have even better grip than the KDW and old Sports.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea R1's are a track only tire. But like I said you're going to have to change wheel sizes. There's NOTHING good out there for a 15" wheel unless it's a full competition tire. All the H/Z/V rated rubber in 15" sizes has been dropped because all new cars come with 17" rubber at least now days. A freakin Chevy Aveo has a 15" rim. No one is going to make HP rubber for an Aveo.

You'll need to look at at least a 16" rim if not a 17. Then I'd look at the BFG G-force Sport Comp-2's that just came out. Still very affordable, but have even better grip than the KDW and old Sports.
if i get rims, its gonna be the srt4 rims, so whatever size they come in is what ill look for tires for.
id like to stick to BFG, cuz them are the only tires ever run on my 91 stang gt, charger, and my r/t; and the always treated me good.

but if theres a better traction tire for cheaper in comparison, ill probably go with that

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
a 17x6" rim is a waste. 205's are the widest you can push on them. Anything wider just makes the contact patch look like a motorcycle tire. A 17x7 would fit 225's nicely if not a 17x7.5.

If you want to play you have to pay sometimes.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a 17x6" rim is a waste. 205's are the widest you can push on them. Anything wider just makes the contact patch look like a motorcycle tire. A 17x7 would fit 225's nicely if not a 17x7.5.

If you want to play you have to pay sometimes.
yeah well, i already have 16k invested into the car over the last 3 years. sick of paying lol....

but yeah, ill figure something out.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wish i still had the 16x9.5 rims from the charger ><
then again, i dont think they would look that great on an r/t haha

·
Holset Booster
3,536 Posts
I'd look at the BFG G-force Sport Comp-2's that just came out. Still very affordable, but have even better grip than the KDW and old Sports.
Really? I have had KDW 2s on a few cars now and they have had great traction and lasted longer than I thought. I will have to look into the Sport Comp 2s if you think they have better traction. I was just about to tell him to go with the KDWs

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
see how these work, fiance bought them for me as an early bday present. i just gotta be carefull when i turn lol. they a bit wide (assuming they fit) lol. i gotta run my current tires down to slicks first. might as well use them up b4 i put the new mickeys on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I run the KDW 2's on my R/T and they are the best tire I have found, I run 225 45 17 thou.
I can break those loose too but it is much harder. I am getting the FWD TCS box to go with these tires and I think that will work out very well in conjunction.
Only time will tell thou.

What tires are those? ET Streets? 275's? How in the world are you going to get those to fit, my 225's barely fit as is.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run the KDW 2's on my R/T and they are the best tire I have found, I run 225 45 17 thou.
I can break those loose too but it is much harder. I am getting the FWD TCS box to go with these tires and I think that will work out very well in conjunction.
Only time will tell thou.

What tires are those? ET Streets? 275's? How in the world are you going to get those to fit, my 225's barely fit as is.
i fit 275s on a 7 inch rim before, only reason it worked was cuz of the high sidewalls. idk if these will fit tho. havnt tried yet / dont know how stiff the sides are. haha. if not ill take em back and get something a bit smaller.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts